Question How to buy a proper replacement lamp for a projector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
This is a Yamaha DPX-1, my first projector which I bought "as-is" seller advertised that it had a bad lamp.

I'm finding that there is a huge diversity in prices so I don't know what factors contribute to the wide price spread. Also I see that you can buy "Lamp only" replacements without the case. I also see that some lamps are "Osram" What are they and why do they seem to appear be in the higher priced units. Are they worth the extra cost? Thanks, Jim

USAFRet

Titan
Osram is a well known maker/seller of projector and DLP lamps.
I bought a couple.

Years ago, I had an InFocus 61" DLP (sort of a projector). Got it for free, because the owner (friend/coworker) did not want to shell out for a factory bulb at $400.

I found a replacement on ebay for $80. Bulb+housing.

Here is where you have to be very very careful.
The aftermarket bulbs are much hotter and brighter than stock.

Some genius at RCA/InFocus specified a plastic lens way down deep in the light engine.
This hotter bulb literally melted that lens.
I managed to Frankenstein a glass lens in there, but not easy or perfect.
It worked, though.

I don't know the particulars about your Yamaha, but be very careful.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
0I'm still pondering my dilemma. There are some lamps with frame on Amazon for $36.00 and the prices go to $150. and beyond. Is this the situation where you get what you pay for? I'm on a tight budget but I don't want to waste money on a cheap one if I'll be disappointed. Thanks, Jim

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
I have learned a lot by reading product descriptions. First of all, the $36. lamp in case is advertised right out as 70% of full light. Anythying with an Osram lamp is expensive. It is possible to buy an Osram lamp (lamp only) for less than $50. which is in my price range. Does anyone know if these can be installed in the fixture by a person with reasonably good manual dexterity? I'm sure there is a good reason why they are almost always marketed installed in the case. But for a dyed in the wool DIY'er, that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Any encouragement is welcome. Thanks, Jim

USAFRet

Titan
I have learned a lot by reading product descriptions. First of all, the $36. lamp in case is advertised right out as 70% of full light. Anythying with an Osram lamp is expensive. It is possible to buy an Osram lamp (lamp only) for less than $50. which is in my price range. Does anyone know if these can be installed in the fixture by a person with reasonably good manual dexterity? I'm sure there is a good reason why they are almost always marketed installed in the case. But for a dyed in the wool DIY'er, that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Any encouragement is welcome. Thanks, Jim
Technicalities if a DIY installation is all up to your personal skills.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
There was a time about 20 years ago when I took a minor apprenticeship as a watchmaker and at that time I could successfully disassemble, clean and reassemble a wristwatch. (and it would work) Hopefully I have retained at least some of those dexterity skills.

I think I'll give it a try, buying an Osram lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.