Question How to change to the WINE version you want to use, if multiple WINE versions are installed on Linux?

Oct 20, 2019
Does anyone have any useful information regarding to WINE software? I've just compiled WINE 4.7-Staging, installed WINE 4.7-Staging 64Bit but, when I type in the Terminal this command, "wine --version". The Terminal gives me this for an output, "WINE 4.21-Staging", before I've compiled the WINE version I want to use, I've installed WINE 4.21-Staging and I decided to read the instructions to how to uninstall WINE. I've managed to uninstall WINE 4.21-Staging, but the result of the Terminal command still shows me that WINE 4.21-Staging is the version I'm using. Is there a way to uninstall a specific WINE version completely and is there a Terminal command to switch to the WINE version you want to use? Any help would be useful, thanks.

Oct 20, 2019
At first, I needed to compile WINE 4.7 in order to install, modify and play with Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City. Then I've discovered Proton, I've managed to get GTA EFLC installed and running smoothly. The only problem I've encountered was when I attempting to modify the game. I wanted to install and use Simple Native Trainer v6.5. Right as I launched the game, right when I'm in-game, I've pressed F4 and nothing happens. Then I looked back into the GTA EFLC directory, there was a file named, 'Scripthook.log'. I opened the file using a Text Editor, right at the very bottom, it stated, "[FATAL] Failed to detect game version". Right now, I'm trying to figure how I could get this Scripthook.dll to detect the game version. Also note that I did manage to patch the game to version 1.1.2.0. Thanks for taking your time to help me.

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Wine 4.21 starts up because it's in your PATH variable. you can run which wine and see the path of where Wine 4.21 is. You can run echo $PATH to see your PATH, it contains all the folders from which you can run programs without having to type the path (i.e. without running /usr/bin/wine or ~/bin/wine or ./wine or whatever)

If you want to run your own Wine that you've compiled, you can go to its folder and run ./wine --version. That should run that program in its folder and not the Wine that the OS finds when rummaging through the PATH folders (which is what's run when you run wine --version).