Question How to check dead Gigabyte NVMe SSD M.2 2280 1TB?

Dec 3, 2022
Hello!
A year ago I bought a new disk to store some drone footage. After flying some laps today I was supposed to drop the files into the disk when it suddenly cannot be found in explorer. A check in BIOS shows the disk with a generic name "nvme ssd something" while the other is displayed with brand, size and all (there is two in this laptop, a Lenovo P71). The computer also became slow on startup and shutdown, but regains speed when presumed faulty disk is physically removed.

A check with laptop #2 by putting this disk inside and search for the presumed faulty disk in BIOS does not even allow that laptop to boot into BIOS. It just freeze. But when changed back to its own disk functions normally again.

My guess is the disk is a total loss, but this is fine as it was mainly used as installation point for games and the drone clips. The drone clips are backed up and the games I don't care about. But I would like to check somehow to be certain.

Q: Is above behaviour consistent with a faulty drive and can the drive be checked for its data, or is it a total loss?

Kindly,
LJ