How to check motherboard graphics card compatibility

Nov 20, 2017
Hi,

I have a pretty old motherboard, its a:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3

and I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

How do you I figure out if these components are compatible and secondly will I run into any problems with speed and performance with the motherboard not being able to use the full capability of the new graphics card?

Thank you

Solution
There's not much problem with PCIe compatibility any more. PCIe is a forward/backward compatible interface. Pick any card you want.

As far as performance, there will be some loss with a PCIe version 1 CPU/board. Version 2 like you have would be fine, tho. What processor is it going to be mated with, and at what screen resolution/vert refresh rate will you be gaming at?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There's not much problem with PCIe compatibility any more. PCIe is a forward/backward compatible interface. Pick any card you want.

As far as performance, there will be some loss with a PCIe version 1 CPU/board. Version 2 like you have would be fine, tho. What processor is it going to be mated with, and at what screen resolution/vert refresh rate will you be gaming at?

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The GTX 1070 is going to be a bit overkill at 1080p/60hz, and the i5-2500K might bottleneck it a bit in some games at some times, but there is no problem using the card. If you can OC the CPU, you'll gain more benefit from the GTX 1070.

Nov 20, 2017

yeah I plan to OC the CPU and eventually upgrade it.
As for the graphic card being overkill my thinking is that i'll be future proofing for games down the line