News How to Check SSD Health in Windows 10 and Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
One tool that you left out is Hard Drive Sentinel that also reads and interprets SSD SMART data and gives a value for reliability. I have used this for years for regular hard drives and found the other tests and tools very valuable, including short/long self test, surface tests, thermal charting, and cleaning / wiping function. I believe they offer a trial, but I use the paid version. It also often can read through a RAID controller, and you can check on their website for which controllers it can read through. On Windows it has a GUI version, and CLI for Linux / FreeBSD. Since the CLI works on FreeBSD, it also works on TrueNAS!

bitbucket

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Using the default Windows method, how would you tell which disk had a problem? I tried it and it just says "OK" three times because I have three disks. So for me, at this time, it doesn't matter but what if you had 2 OK and 1 Pred Fail ? How would you know which was having the problem?

USAFRet

Titan
Using the default Windows method, how would you tell which disk had a problem? I tried it and it just says "OK" three times because I have three disks. So for me, at this time, it doesn't matter but what if you had 2 OK and 1 Pred Fail ? How would you know which was having the problem?
This is in my system, with 6x SSD:
8RwW7qN.jpg

Presumably, they would be listed in order, as they appear in Disk Management.
Disk 0, Disk 1, etc....

Reactions: bolweval

Uilleam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
One tool that you left out is Hard Drive Sentinel that also reads and interprets SSD SMART data and gives a value for reliability. I have used this for years for regular hard drives and found the other tests and tools very valuable, including short/long self test, surface tests, thermal charting, and cleaning / wiping function. I believe they offer a trial, but I use the paid version. It also often can read through a RAID controller, and you can check on their website for which controllers it can read through. On Windows it has a GUI version, and CLI for Linux / FreeBSD. Since the CLI works on FreeBSD, it also works on TrueNAS!

I use that program as well. I made a bootable flash drive with their DOS version to do quick checks of drives without having to boot into Windows.

Reactions: chaz_music
Status
Not open for further replies.