How to check state of used GPU?

KubiGR

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Hello, I want to upgrade my GPU from a 550 Ti to a 1050 Ti or a 1060 and I found a sweet deal with a 1060 6 GB being 30% down the price of a new one. I can go check the card but there is no pc there that I can plug and bench the card. What else can I do to see if the card is the right model as he says, how to check if it has been used for mining/etc?

Solution
Checking the model is as simple as comparing model numbers and physical looks. Checking for mining is impossible though, there is no way to check what a card is used for outside of someones word.

If there is not a PC there to check it in, then bring your own PC. I would not buy a used card without checking it first OR if you bought it from somewhere with buyer protection like ebay and paypal.
Checking the model is as simple as comparing model numbers and physical looks. Checking for mining is impossible though, there is no way to check what a card is used for outside of someones word.

If there is not a PC there to check it in, then bring your own PC. I would not buy a used card without checking it first OR if you bought it from somewhere with buyer protection like ebay and paypal.

Solution

KubiGR

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I will check the physical look and I hope I find the model number somewhere on the card. I have thought about bringing my own pc without the gpu but it's a pain to move the whole tower. I don't know if there is an easier way to test it, like bring only the psu and the motherboard + cpu.

I have read online that you can check about discolouration on the PCB. Is that true?

If the PCB is discolored its an issue, but its not a telltale sign of anything. It could be damaged without that happening.

Only bringing a partial system will only tell you if the fans run, you need a full system to benchmark, stress test, and monitor temps on the card.

it sounds like your willing to do a lot just to save a few bucks off a GPU. GPU prices are starting to go down anyway so if you are not confident in this purchase just wait a little longer for prices to go down

KubiGR

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I watch the GPU prices and the used GPU deals daily, but a card even used being 200euro from the original 300euro is a good deal for me.

As you told me the only way is to bring my pc tower and I am thinking if there is an easier way. If you can think about something clever for testing the card, please do.

TRENDING THREADS