How to Choose a PC Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2018
1- You did not talk about screen bleeding in IPS panels.

2- you did not talk about HDR , HDR 10 , HDR 2020 , Dolby HDR .

3- you did not talk about I/O

4- you did not talk about speakers with Monitors.

5- you did not talk about Pivot option

6- You did not talk about Vesa Options and mounting.

7- you did not talk about slim to zero bezel monitors

8- you did not talk about FRC , and if the panel is true color or lower + FRC , and why most gaming Panels use FRC .

Good Article needs Part 2.

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Your eyeballs don't see in "curves", if something is straight, you see it as straight. The curve of a monitor distorts how your eye and brain naturally see things. The point of a curve monitor is to wrap an image around your head to more fully fill your field of view, but doing this distorts things that should look straight into looking curved.

The article says:

Monitors targeting gamers often have the option of Nvidia G-Sync or AMD FreeSync. While these will boost the refresh rate of your monitor, it’ll also add to the price tag.

I think a lot of people reading that would think you're saying G-Sync and FreeSync in some way increase monitor refresh rates.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

9- you did not talk about sluggish GTG response time in VA panels, causing dark smudging in darker areas while gaming

Aug 28, 2018
Bottom line for general and entertainment use (sound is also impt. to me) is one monitor better or harder on the eyes than another ? Now a days they are warning against blue light and it messing with the brain and hormones. I'm not a techy tho I know PCs, nor am I a doctor but I know enough to have a conversation about health and nutrition. I just need to replace my POS HP AIO 5 yr old desktop with anything but another HP anything; am willing to spend some money for a good machine but at this rate, I will never buy anything because the research I've done is dizzying, the tech specs for everything from iods to the cord have become so specific I just end up leaving w/the dogg, return w/a sandwich and listen to music w/TV on. Just forget about getting work done or finishing the piles of financial and Word projects I could be working on but cannot .

Sep 16, 2018
A full hd display is 1920x1080, Is it supposed that for a 2k, 4k and higher resolutions suppose to be increase in the second value of the resolution? (Ex. zzzz X 2k, 4k values)

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

While I agree that this is article is missing those items, I believe it is purposely written to be very generic and general. Think of it as more of a launch pad to go out and find the more specific and in-depth info you're looking for.

Without going into my profession and what I do for a living, I have just 1 book on my desk, 762 pages, that merely touches on all these points... so if you want to dive off the deep end, feel free, but I dont blame Tom's for a lacking article in this respect.

You are right... and since nothing I can't think of (game or app) adjusts for a curve of any kind (someone tell me if they do exist) short of an adjusted pov that will distort, probably incorrectly.

If you look around hard enough, health warnings exist for everything... and of course there is also the deal of conflicting reports too. So, ignore some, pay attention to others based on what you know... and remember moderation is key :D
(Don't take a nap on railroad tracks, don't stick a fork in a wall outlets... enjoy your bacon and eggs if your not a vegetarian or vegan, otherwise enjoy your tofu and carrots. And if the movie Gamer became real life, Lord help us all.)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
My 2 cents on curved monitors. They are awesome, why? Because a pixel is the same relative size no matter where it is on the screen where on a regular the pixels in the center are usually closer IE are bigger than the pixels to the far left and right so in reality a curved have more uniform pixel sizes compared to a flat screen that distorts the pixel sizes and it gets progressively worse the bigger/closer you get.

So have to disagree about that it's curved displays that distorts the vision - Its rather the opposite due to the above AND that the eye focus is the same all around the center horizontal axis of the screen while its not on a flat due to the distance between the center and edges.

Source as to this variance in density?

Monitors are based on TV tech. and TV tech even at the beginning NEVER had variable pixel/dot density. To change that up now... would really mess with things.

Are you sure you're not confusing this with how your/our eyes are constructed?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
@shrapnel_indie: Cant figure it out?`The distance from an eye to the surface is what determines the size of a surface to the eye. And if you have two equally sized surfaces at different ranges they would appear bigger and smaller depending on its range.. like moving an shooting target down range... it gets smaller and smaller even when its in fact the exact same size.

Lets apply that to screens - Pixels of the same size gets distorted in the exact same way due to distance from the eye making closer pixels cover more of the view field while further pixels covers less and thus curved displays provide more consistent pixel sizes to the eye due to less distance differences

There again... you are referring to how the eye works, not the density of the panel, which is constant. You inferred that the panel density changes. IT DOES NOT... which you now seem to admit to. As a side note, your brain also makes adjustments for you in regards to distance and size so as you know something is size X. Optical illusions on size tend to mess with the given signals of what you see to confuse the mind as to actual size. This does not take place unless that is what is displayed on the screen.

Yes, the curved screen holds the visual landscape better, and would be at its best if the POV is designed for it... which isn't the case. the POV is normally designed for a flat screen and you'd have to manually play with it to get the view 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.