[SOLVED] how to choose a router?

which is the best router at a budget price; i need a ac1900 router... product descriptions doesnt show much about the processor used in the system... like D link DIR- 1960 or tp link C9 AC1900...

Why do you believe an AC1900 is the correct router? I am not saying that isn't the right choice, but you seem to have picked a specific "bin" of routers.
i am looking for an ac1900 router as i use a netgear nighthawk A7000 ac1900 wifi usb adapter for my pc... thats the reason i am looking for an ac1900 router... i also looked at a few ac2600 router too such as the tp link archer a10 but the processor seems to be weak than the tp link archer a9 ac1900... Currently, i am using a netgear R6220 router, i want to upgrade it and mainly i am looking for a better performing router on the 5 GHz band...
also which is more recommended when it comes to router... broadcom or qualcomm or realtek or mediatek?

kanewolf

Titan
i am looking for an ac1900 router as i use a netgear nighthawk A7000 ac1900 wifi usb adapter for my pc... thats the reason i am looking for an ac1900 router... i also looked at a few ac2600 router too such as the tp link archer a10 but the processor seems to be weak than the tp link archer a9 ac1900... Currently, i am using a netgear R6220 router, i want to upgrade it and mainly i am looking for a better performing router on the 5 GHz band...
also which is more recommended when it comes to router... broadcom or qualcomm or realtek or mediatek?
5Ghz performance is dependent on your physical environment as much as the router. Have you thought about trying powerline or MoCA rather than WIFI? WIFI is the worst choice for networking for gaming.

5Ghz performance is dependent on your physical environment as much as the router. Have you thought about trying powerline or MoCA rather than WIFI? WIFI is the worst choice for networking for gaming.
have thought about powerline adapter and will look into it... but my pc is on a different line to my router ... also regarding the routers as far as some guides on tomsguide, i have narrowed it down to a few routers: Netgear Orbi RBR20, TP link c2300, Netgear R7000P, TP link ac2600 a10, dlink exo 2600 mesh gigabit router;

kanewolf

Titan
have thought about powerline adapter and will look into it... but my pc is on a different line to my router ... also regarding the routers as far as some guides on tomsguide, i have narrowed it down to a few routers: Netgear Orbi RBR20, TP link c2300, Netgear R7000P, TP link ac2600 a10, dlink exo 2600 mesh gigabit router;
I would not stress "mesh" in your choice. It is just a fancy term for "WIFI repeater". It is also quite possible that a change to your router won't change your performance. What is your current router?

You have to learn what those numbers actually mean. They are intentional being deceptive with them so it take some effort to get to the truth. They are actually encoding methods and you get only a tiny fraction of those numbers in real world installs.

A so called 1900 is 600 on 2.4g and 1300 on 5g. Since you don't plan to use the 2.4g a router that says it is 1750 will be just as fast. It run 450 on 2.4g. The 600 number is not part of the official standard.

Look up what is called a MCS table and you will find what the encoding/channel width etc these number represent.

To go from the 867 to 1300 they are attempting to run 3 overlapping signals rather than 2. This does not work as simple as they make it sound because the signals are bouncing all over the house and these reflections interfere with the main signal. The more overlapping signals you have the harder it is to extract the ones you want. Too them a very long time after 802.11ac was released to even get 4 signals to work. If it was easy they would use 100 signals to get 100 times the speed.

Do expect a some magic just by upgrading the router. First you will never go faster than your ISP connection so if you get that already you are just wasting your money. The largest issue is the amount of stuff that absorbs the signal between you and the router. The next is the interfering signals from your neighbors. Neither of these is fixed by adding a third data stream in fact it many times can work worse because the signal is now more complex.

Reactions: Sohom