muddysoap14

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
So as I asked in the title how do I clean all the os drive using the clean all command in diskpart?
Now when I say how, i don’t mean how to run the command, I know how to use the interface in diskpart.
I mean how do I do that given that the os is on that drive? so if I run the clean all command while running off the os drive surely it would cause a lot of issues.

I might need a step by step on how to do it, or if possible a link explaining the steps.

Thank you for your time, muddy.

USAFRet

Titan
So as I asked in the title how do I clean all the os drive using the clean all command in diskpart?
Now when I say how, i don’t mean how to run the command, I know how to use the interface in diskpart.
I mean how do I do that given that the os is on that drive? so if I run the clean all command while running off the os drive surely it would cause a lot of issues.

I might need a step by step on how to do it, or if possible a link explaining the steps.

Thank you for your time, muddy.
You can't ask the OS to delete itself.

It must be done when booting from some other drive.

muddysoap14

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
Some other drive with an OS on it.

What is the reasoning for this diskpart clean?
The reason isn’t relevant, I’m asking how to do the clean all command on the os drive, but of course it being the os drive you can’t do that while running the computer from that drive.
So, how do I boot from another drive (say like an usb) to clean all the os drive.
Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
The reason isn’t relevant, I’m asking how to do the clean all command on the os drive, but of course it being the os drive you can’t do that while running the computer from that drive.
So, how do I boot from another drive (say like an usb) to clean all the os drive.
Thank you.
I asked Why, because knowing the why may lead to a proper or different solution.

Does it have to be "diskpart"?

If the desired end state is just to have an empty drive, simply create a Win 10 or 11 USB to install with.
Boot from that
Start the install process
When it asks 'where', point it at the drive in question
Delete all existing partitions.
Result - blank drive.

muddysoap14

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
I asked Why, because knowing the why may lead to a proper or different solution.

Does it have to be "diskpart"?

If the desired end state is just to have an empty drive, simply create a Win 10 or 11 USB to install with.
Boot from that
Start the install process
When it asks 'where', point it at the drive in question
Delete all existing partitions.
Result - blank drive.
Ok I see, and for that I apologise, iv been told by some other people that deleting the drive through the install process that it may leave some remnant data, which is why I was looking to do the clean all command so that there is absolutely nothing left on the drive.
The reason is that I might have a virus on this machine and figured to play it safe and just wipe everything hence why I’m resorting to clean all command with all the drives.
If cleaning all other drives but the os in diskpart and then whipping the os in the installation process will result in absolutely nothing left on the OS? then I guess I can do it that way.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time in helping me.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok I see, and for that I apologise, iv been told by some other people that deleting the drive through the install process that it may leave some remnant data, which is why I was looking to do the clean all command so that there is absolutely nothing left on the drive.
The reason is that I might have a virus on this machine and figured to play it safe and just wipe everything hence why I’m resorting to clean all command with all the drives.
If cleaning all other drives but the os in diskpart and then whipping the os in the installation process will result in absolutely nothing left on the OS? then I guess I can do it that way.

After this deletion, what drive will you be using for the OS?
The same one?

Then simply carry on with the install process.

This is why I asked why.

Knowing the reason may lead to different steps to take.
Wiping an HDD due to selling it will be a different process than wiping an SSD due to a virus.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't trust that for virus removal. As long as the OS is running you can't really trust that the virus or malware isn't recopying itself to the drives.

If you want to completely wipe a system try something like a Linux based rescue OS. That way if it is targeted at Windows it has less chance of being able to deal with Linux.

Perhaps System Rescue.

You should be able to wipe out the drives and do a deep clean to the disks.

USAFRet

Titan

Also, just continuing this thread would have prevented my initial questions.

If the disk is a ssd look through the bios for a secure erase option.