How to clone a Mac Hard Drive using Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekka

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi, I was wondering if there was anyway to clone or backup a Mac Hard drive from a Windows 7 machine. My friend's Mac got destroyed but managed to save the harddrive and left it with me to back up while he went on vacation.

Unfortunately I've never touched a Mac before and I'm assuming it won't even read the drive if I plug it into my PC since it uses HFS+.

I have with me the following things

- A Windows 7 PC and a Hard Drive Dock
- The 250GB HD from the broken Mac
- A Blank 256GB SSD that he wants to use.

Is there any software on Windows that will let me clone/backup the drive or read from it

Merlin-Sweden

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

MACdrive does ( most of the time) allow windows users to view a mac formatted HDD. Thats true.

The question that was asked was "anyway to clone or backup a Mac Hard drive from a Windows"

MACDrive has no such features.

If your in Europe try calling
Aurora Mac Recovery

they are known to give free advice about data recovery matters

/Sandra

swtx

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
The only yet most effective solution is to find another Mac machine and attach the precious Macintosh HD, as you know PC won't read file system HFS+. On the Mac, you can either use Drive Clone Mac or directly transfer important data to the blank SSD. Regards.

No, that is most certainly not the only solution. Personally, I use Ultimate Boot CD. There's a bootable Linux GUI on there that features "Ghost for Linux"... that will raw copy any hard drive whether it can read the file system or not. Any disk cloning utility should allow you to do that. Just Google "disk cloning utility".

techbri

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

This is an old thread so I don't know if I will get a response but I am a Window System Admin and I use Macs as well. I have used Ghost for years in the PC world and I use UBCD. I have never tried to image a Mac hard drive using Ghost but booting into the MiniXP environment on my UBCD (v4.5), Ghost32 11.5.1 is included. Do you think it would work to image a Mac hard drive or partitions and restore from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.