[SOLVED] How to completely destroy all data on a corrupt SD card ?

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Transcend 128gb SDXC that is corrupt and can't be written, formatted or deleted. I want to replace it under warranty, but don't want to give it back to the store with all my private info still on it. No partition software can either wipe or delete the data on it.

Is there a physical way to totally corrupt all data on it so it can't be seen anymore, either by magnetizing it etc., but to still have it look visually ok so they will still replace it?

Solution
but don't want to give it back to the store with all my private info still on it.

If you don't want to share your data, don't return the drive at all.

Is there a physical way to totally corrupt all data on it so it can't be seen anymore

Yes, chop it into small pieces. That's what i did with my SD card when it became corrupt and i wasn't able to use it anymore.

I want to replace it under warranty

If you want your warranty claim to be successful, the drive must be undamaged. This way, the manufacturer can deep dive into it and figure out what went wrong and why drive got corrupted.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but don't want to give it back to the store with all my private info still on it.

If you don't want to share your data, don't return the drive at all.

Is there a physical way to totally corrupt all data on it so it can't be seen anymore

Yes, chop it into small pieces. That's what i did with my SD card when it became corrupt and i wasn't able to use it anymore.

I want to replace it under warranty

If you want your warranty claim to be successful, the drive must be undamaged. This way, the manufacturer can deep dive into it and figure out what went wrong and why drive got corrupted.

Solution