[SOLVED] How to completely prevent all forms of Windows Update?

May 3, 2021
I have my reasons as to why I do not want to update my machine, though I find them to be of little importance here. As such, I've done everything from changing my settings, setting up delays, disabling auto updates in services.msc, editing and even adding new keys with regedit, and more. The typical here and there windows updates never bother me anymore but somehow my machine still finds a way to receive what I think are "special" updates maybe once a year, usually accompanied by a worst looking UI and microsoft edge forcing itself to be installed onto my computer once again along with a whole bunch of other useless garbage I'm not interested in. The updates that I am bothered by don't seem to be affected in any way by any of my efforts; my machine says it was last year when updates were even checked for up until today's forced update, which appears to have gotten through every single countermeasure I have taken no problem.

So, if my quote unquote typical windows updates are disabled completely, then what is actually permitting my machine to be updated? And if I'm wrong in assuming I'm safe from all "typical" updates, what can I do to completely nuke all possibility that I am ever bothered by windows 10 updates again?

Solution
Pick up Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 (or wait till end of this year for 2022).
You only receive critical and security updates, no feature updates, and I believe the automatic install of the critical and security updates can be turned off permanently. LTSC 2019 also doesn't have Edge, Cortana, or the Microsoft Store. There will be some changes to the LTSC 2022 version that may make 2019 more attractive.

Note that, regardless of your reasons for wanting to disallow updates, turning off security and critical updates may make your system more vulnerable to malware/virus infections.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I don't understand what people don't get about this. You do not own the OS. You have purchased a license to use the OS as Microsoft deems fit. This means you WILL receive updates whether you like them or not. If you do not want to receive Windows 10 updates, do not use Windows 10.

-Wolf sends

Edit - Or never reconnect to the Internet...

Last edited:
May 3, 2021
What type of update was installed? If it was a security update, it could have been installed by those services.
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v5.88 (KB890830)
2021-03 Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)
2021-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 20H2 for x64 (KB4601050)
Corsair - System - 3.0.88.0
Corsair - HIDClass - 3.0.88.0
Lenovo - System - 15.11.29.61
Intel - SoftwareComponent - 1.61.251.0
Intel - SoftwareComponent - 1.38.2020.805

These are all pending install, not exactly sure what else it actually did other than installing microsoft edge again. It said it was an important security update but nothing has changed other than the start menu UI and 400 wasted MBs of hard drive space. The weird part is that I have it setup such that windows will never check for updates, and it hadn't since last year in January until today, and it found all of the above updates things.

Colif

Win 11 Master
And if I'm wrong in assuming I'm safe from all "typical" updates, what can I do to completely nuke all possibility that I am ever bothered by windows 10 updates again?

2021-03 Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)
this pending update makes me think the forced one you got was the Feature update for 20H2. They aren't what I would call a typical update, as they replace the currently installed version entirely.

Microsoft doesn't want people stopping on old versions, they only officially support the last 3 versions of windows 10, and windows 10 will ignore all your steps to try to not update it if it knows its past its end date - I expect its recorded in the version somewhere. 18 months is it, then they are old. So right now, it supports 1909 to 20H2 but this month 21H1 is due out and it will mean the oldest supported is 20h1

Windows doesn't care what you want with regards to updates. Only way to avoid them is use something else.

Reactions: Cj-tech
May 3, 2021
this pending update makes me think the forced one you got was the Feature update for 20H2. They aren't what I would call a typical update, as they replace the currently installed version entirely.

Microsoft doesn't want people stopping on old versions, they only officially support the last 3 versions of windows 10, and windows 10 will ignore all your steps to try to not update it if it knows its past its end date - I expect its recorded in the version somewhere. 18 months is it, then they are old. So right now, it supports 1909 to 20H2 but this month 21H1 is due out and it will mean the oldest supported is 20h1

Windows doesn't care what you want with regards to updates. Only way to avoid them is use something else.

Somewhere somehow there must be something I can edit or get rid of that will prevent windows from updating; I mean, it worked for all the other updates I've missed since 2020, so what's different about this one? I'll keep searching I suppose.

What reason do you absolute need Windows for that another solution won't do? Because if you want absolute control over the OS, Windows shouldn't even be on your radar.

But to answer your question: no, there's no way to stop Windows updates within Windows. There are editions that don't have feature updates, but these are reserved for Enterprise and IoT editions, one of which is not available to the average joe and the other is too limited to be of any practical use. This is conjecture, but you'd have to stop it at the network level, and even then I'm sure there will be annoying issues that come from it.

Pick up Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 (or wait till end of this year for 2022).
You only receive critical and security updates, no feature updates, and I believe the automatic install of the critical and security updates can be turned off permanently. LTSC 2019 also doesn't have Edge, Cortana, or the Microsoft Store. There will be some changes to the LTSC 2022 version that may make 2019 more attractive.

Note that, regardless of your reasons for wanting to disallow updates, turning off security and critical updates may make your system more vulnerable to malware/virus infections.

Solution