How to compress MPEG-2 video

peter

I am new to video editing, I have been able to create nice high
quality clips but they are large files 4 Gigs for a 40 sec clip
(720x480). How can I get them down to internet viewable size?

Can someone recommend software that will reduce the movie size to say
360x240,
and are there compressed MPEG formats that media players like Windows
Media Player or QuickTime will play?

Hi Peter,

It seems strange to me with 4Gb from 40s dv. Must be something wrong there.

However, if you have good quality 720x480 video you should be able to
transfer that into MPEG2 for a regular DVD player or WMV for Media Player
with only a slight reduction of quality. With MPEG2 you could probably fit
about 16 minutes of high quality NTSC or PAL video into about 1Gb. Or a DVD
can hold about 75 minutes of video with an only slightly lower quality
compared to your source. Several editors can do this for example Adobe
Premiere Pro, Canopus Edius and several others.

Peter

On 9 Oct 2004 22:48:35 -0700, contact@pfksystems.com (Peter) wrote:

>I am new to video editing, I have been able to create nice high
>quality clips but they are large files 4 Gigs for a 40 sec clip
>(720x480). How can I get them down to internet viewable size?
>
>Can someone recommend software that will reduce the movie size to say
>360x240,
>and are there compressed MPEG formats that media players like Windows
>Media Player or QuickTime will play?

Very universal is the mpeg-1 format, well known from video-cd and
playable on any Windows computer. You can try a program called TMPGEnc
from www.pegasys-inc.com , version 2.5 plus is recommended, to encode
you large file into mpeg-1 and and also reduce the size in pixels.

To reduce even further you can try to encode in mpeg-4, which can
provide higher quality than mpeg-1 at the same bit-rate. However it is
less standard than mpeg-1 but can be played with Quicktime and/or
Mediaplayer when using the right encoder/decoder software.

peter

Thanks for the useful info, I downloaded a trial of the TMPGEnc MPEG
editor, but it only seems to allow saving to MPEG-2, no MPEG-1, and I
don't see any way to reduce the size in pixels?

My 40 sec clip is 4MB (not gb, sorry), but that's still too big for a
quick download.

On 9 Oct 2004 22:48:35 -0700, contact@pfksystems.com (Peter) wrote:

>I am new to video editing, I have been able to create nice high
>quality clips but they are large files 4 Gigs for a 40 sec clip
>(720x480). How can I get them down to internet viewable size?
>
>Can someone recommend software that will reduce the movie size to say
>360x240,

VirtualDub (freeware). You can either do an AVI (Xvid codec, which
allows high compression), or an mpeg (with the Ympeg codec).

On 10 Oct 2004 09:04:28 -0700, contact@pfksystems.com (Peter) wrote:

>Thanks for the useful info, I downloaded a trial of the TMPGEnc MPEG
>editor, but it only seems to allow saving to MPEG-2, no MPEG-1, and I
>don't see any way to reduce the size in pixels?
>
>My 40 sec clip is 4MB (not gb, sorry), but that's still too big for a
>quick download.

You don't need the MPEG Editor but the Encoder, try again if you
please.

peter

I tried downloading and running the encoder (TMPGEnc 3.0 Express
Trial) but it won't run, says my trial has already expired. Is there
any way to try this out?

On 10 Oct 2004 09:04:28 -0700, contact@pfksystems.com (Peter) wrote:

>Thanks for the useful info, I downloaded a trial of the TMPGEnc MPEG
>editor, but it only seems to allow saving to MPEG-2, no MPEG-1, and I
>don't see any way to reduce the size in pixels?

First, load in the template for VideoCD-NTSC (You'll find the
load button in the lower right-hand corner of the main window).. Then
run your video through it.
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

On 10 Oct 2004 21:09:17 -0700, contact@pfksystems.com (Peter) wrote:

>I tried downloading and running the encoder (TMPGEnc 3.0 Express
>Trial) but it won't run, says my trial has already expired. Is there
>any way to try this out?

Try downloading the freeware version of TMPGEnc if you please.

rs

Keep going down the page there. You want TMpgenc 2.5 (Freeware) Its a few
choices lower down the list from the Express 3.0 you grabbed.

Or you can go right to the site.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

If you encode your 40 second file at 320X240 size at a bitrate of about
1100kbps with standard 224kbps audio then you should get a final file size
of between 1 and 1.2 Meg.