How to configure storage for my new build

Kieran28

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Greetings. I recently built the following system:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
RAM: Patriot Signature DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) CL9 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 240-Pin DDR3
GPU: XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Case: BitFenix Outlaw ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC
HDD: Cannibalized 1TB Samsung from current computer
Optical drive: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

So I'm wondering how to configure my storage, i.e., RAID, AHCI, IDE...

I already installed the OS and major apps to the SSD in IDE mode, and I think that was a mistake. I'll be re-installing the system anyway, because I bought another M4 (128GB this time) and will set up a dual-boot with Ubuntu splitting that drive 50/50. So I'll still have 64gb for Win7.

The 1TB HDD is already formated NTFS from another system. It was a storage drive, not a system drive, so I don't think it cares whether it's IDE or RAID, right? It's about half full with mostly media. I don't want to have to back up and re-format it.

I was kind of thinking of picking up a 20GB SSD some day and implement SRT on the 1TB data drive to boost performance from it. But since it's just data and very few if any apps will be on it, that might be a waste of money?

But should I set up the main SSD as RAID anyway, so that I have the option? Are there disadvantages to setting up the main system SSD as RAID if it's not otherwise being used in any sort of RAID array?

Come to think of it, does any of this even matter, since I wouldn't be using SRT on the system drive anyway?

Thanks for any help/clarity you can provide.

Solution
Your SSD should be connected to port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1 in AHCI mode for maximum performance.

If you set your SATA ports to RAID mode any drive attached to the ports that are not part of an actual RAID array will automatically default to AHCI mode. If you're not going to create a RAID array in the near future just set the ports to AHCI mode.

Your O/S has to be on your HDD in order to use Intel SRT. You have a fairly large SSD (128GB), so you should use it for your O/S instead of setting up Intel SRT.

Also, you don't have to make any changes or reformat your 1TB HDD, it will work ok.
Your SSD should be connected to port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1 in AHCI mode for maximum performance.

If you set your SATA ports to RAID mode any drive attached to the ports that are not part of an actual RAID array will automatically default to AHCI mode. If you're not going to create a RAID array in the near future just set the ports to AHCI mode.

Your O/S has to be on your HDD in order to use Intel SRT. You have a fairly large SSD (128GB), so you should use it for your O/S instead of setting up Intel SRT.

Also, you don't have to make any changes or reformat your 1TB HDD, it will work ok.

Solution

Kieran28

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Effectively my SSD will be 64GB, as I'm going to partition it 50/50 for a Win7/Ubuntu dual boot.

But your point remains, and I agree. Even at 64GB, I have no intention of using that SSD as an SRT cache drive. I was talking about the potential to possibly get a small 20GB mSATA SSD to enable SRT on the storage drive. But as you pointed this apparently is not possible... so I've nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your reply!