How to configure wireless router for Hotwire Comm ISP

mamavicky

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I am not a pro, but definitely some experience. I am trying to configure my wireless router for use in an apartment with Hotwire Communications cable high speed internet. There is no modem, just a cat5 from a wall outlet. Their "support" line provides none--they don't "support" wireless routers and send you to the router manufacturer who doesn't support their network.
Of course, for $150, they will install a wireless router. If the service wasn't included in the building, I would fire them.
Any ideas on what I am missing?
Thanks!

There is a modem, it's just not where you are. And there is a router as well since you are in an apartment building that your cat5 cable connects to. The building probably has a central place where the modem and router is, and there is wiring from the router (probably a switch also) that goes into the apartments.

Get a wifi extender not a router if all you want is wireless. Or turn off DHCP and NAT in your router and read on how you can setup your model of router as an extender.

When you just hook up your router to the cable you have, you are creating your own internal network there, which won't connect to the outside.

mamavicky

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Thank you for your thorough and patient explanation.