Question How to connect a work laptop, personal use desktop PC and two monitors ??

Chess Gator

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hi fellows,

What is the best way to connect a work laptop, personal use desktop PC with two monitors?

I want to be able to seamlessly switch between using the work laptop and my PC without unplugging and replugging any connections!

Should I use a KVM, docking station or something else? In addition, which type? A link to the item(s) you recommend would be appreciated.

Please no cheap discount stuff only top of the line equipment!

Thank you in advance,

CG

Ralston18

Titan
Something like the following product (not a recommendation or endorsement)?

KVM Switch

Sketch out a diagram showing the work laptop, personal use desktop PC, both monitors.

Include all connections: cable types, ports, genders etc. help find a matching KVM switch.

You may need an adapter or two plus some additional cables.

Use the image just above the video image in the link as a guide for your sketch.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Hi fellows,

What is the best way to connect a work laptop, personal use desktop PC with two monitors?

I want to be able to seamlessly switch between using the work laptop and my PC without unplugging and replugging any connections!

Should I use a KVM, docking station or something else? In addition, which type? A link to the item(s) you recommend would be appreciated.

Please no cheap discount stuff only top of the line equipment!

Thank you in advance,

CG
I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're trying to accomplish here. You just want to be able to use either of the two monitors from either your laptop or pc without unplugging cables? If that's all you need, then (provided the monitors have multiple inputs and they'd have to be really old to not have that) just connect the pc to both monitors, connect the laptop to both monitors, and choose the input you want to use on the monitor itself. You'll have to press a couple of buttons on the monitor to switch back and forth, but you don't need to unplug/replug cables.

Reactions: PEnns
Jun 14, 2023
Hi there!

I used 3 monitors with my desktop and use one of them with my work Macbook. Two are connected using Displayport and one is using HDMI. One of the monitors is also connected to the Macbook via USB-C.

Since the monitor has an auto-select option in its menu, I've set it to auto-select USB-C when output is available. Basically, when my Macbook is powered on, the monitor will display USB-C output. When it's powered off, it will display desktop output.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but it's worth a check to see if your monitors have an auto-select option.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Last edited:

Chess Gator

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
The KVM built into the Gigabyte monitor will only work with two computers and one monitor. If you want to use two monitors, you are SOL!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well, I guess you're SOL since there's no other possible way to accomplish this.

To be honest, I was being sarcastic since you made it obvious that you really don't want solutions.

You not knowing the answer is not justifcation for trolling someone in their own thread. 2 seconds of googling produced a device that will do exactly what this user wants.

And so you can exit this thread now, if you have nothing helpful to say, then please keep it to yourself.

May 19, 2023
Thank you for posting! I notice the KVM you are recommending is 4K@30Hz, my two monitors will require 4K at 144Hz.
as you so "stand" for 4K 144Hz, i Presume you have a high end quality require for you device, i unnderstand that, but the one you choose is not a real 4K 144Hz, befor that you need to know sth about DsiplayPort, the max bandwidth of DP 1.4 is 25.92Gbps (data one not total, there still other thing need passthrough the cable) while a real 4:4:4 4K 144Hz require 31.35Gbps, so that is a DP 2.0 version can do not a DP 1.4, but if you are ok with a "half quality" of your image on your screen it is still ok with 1.4, becuz they have a technology called "DSC" that can upscaled the resolution by cutting the color, witch will turned the 1.4 performance: 4:4:4 4K 120Hz into a half one: 4:2:2 4K 144Hz or even 4:2:0 4K 165Hz if you know what i mean, if you are ok with that i'm saying nothing