Question How to connect an external monitor to a Microsoft Surface Go ?

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Good morning all,

I am looking to connect my laptop, a Microsoft Surface Go to my 24in monitor, an AOC 24G2U. Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't have an HDMI slot so I bought a USB to HDMI adapter and used that to connect it to the monitor. However, it's not detecting it. Am I using the right sort of cable/adapter? I have searched on Amazon for a direct USB to HDMI cable but all I can find is charging cables that don't seem to be designed to connect an external monitor.

This is the adapter I'm using, along with a standard HDMI cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097BNCRP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anyone help with this?

Cheers.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
So, I've figured out how to connect my laptop to the monitor but there's a new problem that is making me pull my hair out! You see, the laptop is for my work and at the end of the day I use the monitor for gaming, leaving both HDMI cables in place. The gaming PC always recognises the monitor no issues, but when I turn on the laptop for work, most of the time it doesn't pick up the monitor, despite working all day the previous day. I fiddle with settings, try different HDMI ports and nothing works. Then, seemingly at random, I hit upon the secret combination that works and makes it pick up the monitor. The IT department are just as mystified as I am.

Can anyone help with this? You'd be saving my hair...:-D