How to connect laptop to desktop PC and transfer files fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Transfer files from laptop to desktop PC
How do you connect laptop to desktop PC and transfer files fast?

The 15" SXGA LCD of my Dell Inspiron 5150 went dead. Windows XP on the laptop runs fine. External display attached via the laptop's video connector works well too.

Right now, I need to urgently backup files on the laptop's hard disk to PC.

Question 1:
How do you connect laptop to desktop PC? What is the interface that allows fastest file transfer rate? Via serial cable, USB2 or firewire? My desktop PC has a Gigabyte 8IRXP motherboard and housed in a Lianli PC70 case which lets me use pretty any interface available.

Question 2:
However I don't have idea about the looks of serial/USB2/firewire cable I should use to connect my Inspiron to PC. I haven't used serial cable that much. And USB2/firewire cable's connectors on both end varies. Not sure what kind is for this particular job...Anyone could kindly attach pictures of these cables? :oops:

Question 3:
Is there such a way where I can connect laptop to PC, and have the laptop's hard disk shown up like slave drive on PC's desktop?
On the Inspiron's hard disk, two partitions one of which has Windows XP.

Questions 4:
Is there special software that make the whole thing easier?

Please enlighten me. :D Appreciate it!!!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The easiest way would be to creat a local area network (lan) using a router or hub, plug both computers into the hub using cat5 cable (ethernet cable). Then you share all the drives on your laptop by right clicking and choosing share (go through all the security stuff and click ok). Then you go to network places on your desktop and choose show workgroup computers, all the drives from your laptop will appear. Click and drag the files you want to the appropriate drive on your desktop.

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
The easiest way would be to creat a local area network (lan) using a router or hub, plug both computers into the hub using cat5 cable (ethernet cable). Then you share all the drives on your laptop by right clicking and choosing share (go through all the security stuff and click ok). Then you go to network places on your desktop and choose show workgroup computers, all the drives from your laptop will appear. Click and drag the files you want to the appropriate drive on your desktop.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that LAN+CAT5 cable method.:)

As a matter of fact, I have a 6-Pin to 4-Pin FireWire cable that comes with my 3.5"/5.25" USB2/Firewire enclosure. A user from other forum confirmed that once connected via firewire the Inpiron's hard disk will show up in My Computer like slave drive, I will try it with firewire transfer.

pccomputergeek

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
The fastest way is to connect both computers to a lan. Then proceed by networking then choose workgourps. The 2 computers should be connected to the same workgroup so that it you will be able to share files to both computers. Setting it up should be easy. Check for more tips and computer reviews at Laptop Pc Computers

G

can i plug my laptop to desktop pc whit usb 2.0 cabel or is that gona breake my laptop?
sry my bad english im from finland and i havent speaked englis for while :(

G

Yep, you don't need a router/hub. can simply connect the laptop and PC (Ethernet 10/100) sockets with a crossover cable, which you can get for a couple of pounds... The Microsoft "Set up a network" wizards are fairly easy to follow. and then Share the folders you want to transfer simply by right-clicking n them and following the choices given.
Good luck

G

Hi, i want to do similar with mine, except that my laptop battery is dead (and the mains won't work) - can I still transfer with the laptop powered off? Many thanks

alighouston

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Well LAN is not the fastest way as most with have 100mbps LAN setup the fastest way will be with external HDD running on SATA II 2nd will be HDD with fire-wire or use USB 2.0 unless you have a 3.0 setup just copy and past to make it easy. If you want more faster then that just pull out the HDD from old computer and place it as slave in the new computer ie if you know what you are doing.For either windows 2000 or me/98 to xp will be via file transfer wizard and tell it to place file on a location " have not done that in years".
Hope this helps you if you have any other questions like linux unix mac to windows or vice versa let me know.

Syed F Ali
C.E.O
http://www.stategeeks.com
http://www.bestwaycomputers.com

G

The Microsoft "Set up a network" wizards are fairly easy to follow.

Uh, yeah.. hmm...

I'm sitting here on Windoze 7 and while there is a wizard whose name is "Set up a new network"

The problem is it really refers to "Configure a new router or access point".

The question I have, which I thought this thread was about, was directly connecting two laptops by simply using a cable (i.e. without buying a router too). None of the 'connection option's seem to address connecting two computers directly with no network hardware involved, just a cable. It seems like Microsoft makes this quite difficult.

G

I would love to connect my labtop to my desktop WITHOUT networking so pretend my labtop is a mp3 player just way advanced how the heck do i do this? What type of cable(s) do I need to accomplish this task? both run windows 7 64 bit home premium.
replay at momof4g1b@live.com

G

how do you choose or get to the same workgroup

+1 chillaxinb4u

I wouldn't even buy the enclosure unless you plan to keep the hard drive as an external from now on.

I'd just pull the laptop hard drive and connect it directly to the desktop's motherboard SATA controller and add power from the desktop PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.