How to Connect to a 120+ Hz display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2019
An HDMI to DisplayPort adapter will not work with FreeSync, no.

The G2590X I think is a good option. The 24.5" panel it uses is a newer panel as well, which supposedly has improved image quality compared to the older panels most 24.0" 144 Hz monitors use. Haven't tested any myself though.
Thanks! I just ordered the AOC G2590X

Apr 29, 2019
Hey, im late but i have the XG2402 Viewsonic and it support only 120hz. I have a 2.0 HDMI Cable.
My Notebook has a HDMI 1.4 (im not sure.) the ViewSonic OSD shows 144hz (native) but in the Intel Graphics Setting there is only 120hz.
How can i fix this or is this bcz of my 1.4 port on my Laptop?
(im sorry for my bad english)

Hey, im late but i have the XG2402 Viewsonic and it support only 120hz. I have a 2.0 HDMI Cable.
My Notebook has a HDMI 1.4 (im not sure.) the ViewSonic OSD shows 144hz (native) but in the Intel Graphics Setting there is only 120hz.
How can i fix this or is this bcz of my 1.4 port on my Laptop?
(im sorry for my bad english)
It is a limitation of Intel graphics.

Had an interesting issue when I got my new monitor, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

Used the DP cable that came with the monitor at 1st and found that I had some performance issues. Not sure what the cable specs are on the one that came with it but I lost a ton of performance. After beating my head against the wall I used one of my other DP cables that I was using with my Predator XB1 XB271HU, that is DP 1.2.

The issues went away and the performance was back up to what it should be.

Just thought that it may be noteworthy to mention anyhow.

Aug 27, 2018
Hi, first of all, a great post to clear all my doubts. Really amazing information you have.

I would be grateful if you could solve an issue I am facing. I wish to buy a gaming laptop along with a 144hz monitor.
The laptop I want to buy is this one: https://www.amazon.com/IPS-level-i5-8300H-Processor-GeForce-Gigabit/dp/B07JF6HRJ1/

It has only 1 output port: HDMI (not sure of the version, as the same web-page states 1.4 and 2.0. The official website states 1.4 however)

In the laptop's manual under HDMI port section it was written: It is HDCP compliant for HD DVD, Blu-ray and other protected content playback.(not much useful I guess)

The monitor I want to buy: https://www.flipkart.com/acer-24-inch-full-hd-gaming-monitor-xb240h/p/itmfdfdjygf4fgyh

This xb240h is not a gsync/freesync version which is available internationally. Its specs differ. It has MHL/HDMI (not sure if MHL could make a difference in terms of refresh rate)

Other than this I could not find any other important information. Could you please let me know if I should buy this laptop+monitor combo or should I skip? I need 1080p with 144hz only (don't wanna compromise with 120hz)

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately I don't know the HDMI capabilities of that exact monitor, since Acer in general provides no manual, or does not provide the correct manual, it is difficult to find information without testing. I would recommend choosing one of the other monitors listed in section 7.

Your laptop should be capable of at least 144 Hz at 1080p if the monitor supports it.

Reactions: enzupgarg
May 10, 2019
Aoc C24G1:
i asked customer service and they confirmed that it only supports 120hz with hdmi,. I bought it anyway and I can also confirm, only 120hz!

May 14, 2019
Hello Glen,

First of all, I want to say your thread is a big help, since it's hard to find clear information about Displayport and HDMI cables.

I would appreciate it if you could answer my question:
Recently, I built a new game pc with a Nvidia RTX 2060 gpu. This GPU supports both HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.4.

My monitor, the Samsung LC27JG50QQU, has a maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz and supports HDMI 2.0 (it has 1 portal for 1.4 and 1 portal for 2.0) and Displayport 1.2. This monitor comes with a HDMI 2.0 cable for free.

Some of my friends (and lots of articles on the internet) said that Displayport 1.2 is way better than HDMI 2.0 in my situation. I impulsively bought a Displayport 1.2 cable with HBR2 support, thinking it would improve the gaming experience.

After reading your article, I'm not really sure what to do right now:
  • Should I replace the HDMI 2.0 cable with the Displayport 1.2 cable?
  • Should I keep using the HDMI 2.0 cable and send the Displayport 1.2 cable back and get a refund?

I'm looking forward to your reply!

Grtz. Dora

Hello Glen,

First of all, I want to say your thread is a big help, since it's hard to find clear information about Displayport and HDMI cables.

I would appreciate it if you could answer my question:
Recently, I built a new game pc with a Nvidia RTX 2060 gpu. This GPU supports both HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.4.

My monitor, the Samsung LC27JG50QQU, has a maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz and supports HDMI 2.0 (it has 1 portal for 1.4 and 1 portal for 2.0) and Displayport 1.2. This monitor comes with a HDMI 2.0 cable for free.

Some of my friends (and lots of articles on the internet) said that Displayport 1.2 is way better than HDMI 2.0 in my situation. I impulsively bought a Displayport 1.2 cable with HBR2 support, thinking it would improve the gaming experience.

After reading your article, I'm not really sure what to do right now:
  • Should I replace the HDMI 2.0 cable with the Displayport 1.2 cable?
  • Should I keep using the HDMI 2.0 cable and send the Displayport 1.2 cable back and get a refund?
I'm looking forward to your reply!

Grtz. Dora
If you can get 144 Hz through either option, there is no difference between the two.

Most belief about DP being superior to HDMI comes from experiences or information about older models which used inferior/limited implementations of HDMI.

Reactions: Dora the Explorer
Jun 24, 2019
Hi, I just bought MSI optix MAG 241c and it supports hdmi 1.4 up to 144hz. My gpu only has DVI-D output so I used my old hmdi to dvi cable(I bought it around 2007) and it only runs at 60hz.

Should I buy a new hdmi to dvi cable? Or is hdmi to dvi capped to 60hz?

Hi, I just bought MSI optix MAG 241c and it supports hdmi 1.4 up to 144hz. My gpu only has DVI-D output so I used my old hmdi to dvi cable(I bought it around 2007) and it only runs at 60hz.

Should I buy a new hdmi to dvi cable? Or is hdmi to dvi capped to 60hz?
You should be able to get 1080p 144 Hz. What graphics card do you have?

GuspyPlaysGames

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
I am very conflicted and in need of your help ASAP. The xg2401 is the only monitor that I can afford and want. However, most if not all the reviews say this monitor only supports 144hz through dp and not hdmi. I need you personally to prove (please) that 1.4 can achieve 144hz. Please respond as I am in a 2 day deadline.

GuspyPlaysGames

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks bro you are so so so helpful. I have another question, do you know a link to a good hdmi 1.4 cable? Thanks again dude
Sorry again but I have another question that I can’t find the answer to online, can an Acer Aspire VX support another monitor? Thanks bro.

Btw, I have the 1050ti i7 version