How to Connect to a 120+ Hz display

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 28, 2019
Hi Glenwing, thanks for your incredible work! It clarifies much but I still have questions.

I have MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS motherboard with AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Benq XL2410T monitor. I can't afford a decent video card right now so I use integrated graphics. Motherboard's DVI-D port supports a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz @ 1920x1080 but it also has an HDMI 1.4 port. My monitor's HDMI port does not support 120Hz, so I bought a cable to connect a monitor DVI-D port to motherboard's HDMI port but the maximum I could get was 65Hz at FullHD resolution. I assume the cable I bought (a cheap one) is no good but I still have doubts on whether it is at all possible to get a 120Hz refresh rate in such a way.

My old motherboard with integrated graphics had no problems with 120Hz refresh rate, so I did no research on the topic and expected I would get 120Hz "out of the box". How much was I disappointed! And now my eyes feel the difference between the 120Hz and 60Hz very sharply.

Marnar1991

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
So I just connected a 144hz monitor to my MSI GE62 6QC laptop using the mini displayport. It says it is DP v 1.1. And according to this forum post DP v 1.1 should be enough to run 1920x1080 @ 144hz.

I just played a game of League of legends, and the refresh rate was locked to 60hz. When i had the monitor conencted through HDMI it was not locked to 60hz. And no, i don't have a framerate cap on in game.

Any hints for going 144hz with DP connection?

So I just connected a 144hz monitor to my MSI GE62 6QC laptop using the mini displayport. It says it is DP v 1.1. And according to this forum post DP v 1.1 should be enough to run 1920x1080 @ 144hz.

I just played a game of League of legends, and the refresh rate was locked to 60hz. When i had the monitor conencted through HDMI it was not locked to 60hz. And no, i don't have a framerate cap on in game.

Any hints for going 144hz with DP connection?
What monitor? Did you set the refresh rate to 144 Hz in Windows? Are you playing in fullscreen or borderless windowed mode.?

Marnar1991

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
My monitor is an AOC G2590FX 25. And no did not do so in Windows, as this is my first high refresh rate monitor. So I'm all new to this

Marnar1991

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
See section 6.1 then :)
Before I do that; I noticed it says my monitor is connected to Intel HD Grapics 530.
Im guessing that is a sign that the port is not connected to my dedicated graphics card.

Could that be true?
I just assumed all external ports were connected to the nvidia card =/

Just noticed that is says intel, even when connected throuh HDMI. So not sure that that was a problem.

Before I do that; I noticed it says my monitor is connected to Intel HD Grapics 530.
Im guessing that is a sign that the port is not connected to my dedicated graphics card.

Could that be true?
I just assumed all external ports were connected to the nvidia card =/

Just noticed that is says intel, even when connected throuh HDMI. So not sure that that was a problem.
Laptops switch between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics depending on the GPU demand to save power.

Sep 7, 2019
Hiya Glen. I need some guidance on trying to get 144hz on my acer Gn246hl with my laptop...the available ports are in the image. I read the section on dvi adapters(4.5) where my computer doesnt have a dvi port. Is there really no way to get 144hz on my monitor then, since its only available ports are hdmi and usb type c?
9jqVe3D.png

Hiya Glen. I need some guidance on trying to get 144hz on my acer Gn246hl with my laptop...the available ports are in the image. I read the section on dvi adapters(4.5) where my computer doesnt have a dvi port. Is there really no way to get 144hz on my monitor then, since its only available ports are hdmi and usb type c?
You can use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter, and then plug a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter into it. But that will be like $100 in adapters, it would probably be better to just sell the monitor on Craigslist or something and buy a newer model that supports 144 Hz over HDMI for $180–200.

Reactions: hilberttt
Sep 7, 2019
You can use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter, and then plug a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter into it. But that will be like $100 in adapters, it would probably be better to just sell the monitor on Craigslist or something and buy a newer model that supports 144 Hz over HDMI for $180–200.
thanks so much

Sep 7, 2019
Sorry to bother again, but I wanted to see if I could get verification on the monitors I've looked into. Would a Viewsonic XG2401 or a Dell S2419HGF support 144hz over HDMI? These 2 monitors are the best price options I have found.

Sorry to bother again, but I wanted to see if I could get verification on the monitors I've looked into. Would a Viewsonic XG2401 or a Dell S2419HGF support 144hz over HDMI? These 2 monitors are the best price options I have found.
The XG2401 I have tested to work. The S2419HGF I have not tested, but according to the manual should support 144 Hz over HDMI.

Ppn7

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
Hello ! Thank you very much, i could only put 120hz with HDMI on my AOC 24G2(U) before your help.
Now i can confirm that 144Hz works ! I don'tt need to buy a mini DP now ! :D

I just forgot the first time to put CVT RB and so i had flickering, Now it seems perfect

Reactions: Glenwing
Jan 1, 2020
Thanks for this awesome list, just what I needed to find a monitor for my son. He is using an Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 60hz monitor. We just bought the AOC C24G1 monitor. I can hereby confirm that it supports 144hz via HDMI using the HDMI cable included with the monitor. Works like a charm!

Reactions: Baleyo
Thanks for this awesome list, just what I needed to find a monitor for my son. He is using an Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 60hz monitor. We just bought the AOC C24G1 monitor. I can hereby confirm that it supports 144hz via HDMI using the HDMI cable included with the monitor. Works like a charm!
Thanks!

moheban79

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
Wonder if the op can clarify when it is appropriate to use passive DP to DVI—D adapter? As I understand you need Dp++ dual mode feature built into dp 1.3 and greater which allows the card to the work? So if I have 1.4a dp ports it will work but still be limited to 60 hz??

Thanks

Wonder if the op can clarify when it is appropriate to use passive DP to DVI—D adapter? As I understand you need Dp++ dual mode feature built into dp 1.3 and greater which allows the card to the work? So if I have 1.4a dp ports it will work but still be limited to 60 hz??

Thanks
In practice, all DP sources support DP++.

The behavior or DP to DVI adapters isn't dependent on version. The information in the guide applies to all DP versions. You should use a passive DP to DVI adapter when you need 1080p 60 Hz or less, otherwise you need a dual-link active adapter.

Apr 25, 2020
Hi Glenwing,

First of all this seems like a great guide in which has been put a lot of work.
Im not sure if you will read this but I kind of just want your confirmation if I understood this right because English is not my native language.

I want to buy a monitor to play on 120HZ or 144HZ and connect it with HDMI to my Laptop which has 60HZ. I am using the "Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-52-7840)" and as far as i know it has a 1.4 HMDI Port and the gpu gtx1050ti. Does this mean that i can play games on a new monitor with 120HZ or 144HZ if i buy a monitor which supports atleast HMDI 1.4 and 144HZ with HDMI?

Thank you in Advance!

Edit: So all in all I want to make sure that I can play on a specific monitor per HMDI at 120HZ or 144HZ at 1920x1080 and not lose frames by using HDMI to connect my Laptop to the monitor

Hi. I am exactly in the same situation as you are.

May 1, 2020
Hi!

I am thinking about purchase a new monitor for mi MSI GF63 (i79750H, gtx1650 maxQ. After reading a lot, one owner of msi gf63 told me that with its HDMI 1.4b it only can reach 120hz and, in addition, you need a monitor that support 144hz by HDMI.
Someone can verify it?
How can i know that a monitor support 144hz by HDMI?
Thank you!

I found out that VIEWSONIC VX series VX2458 support hdmi at 144hz. User manual confirm it:
HDMI x 2 (v1.4 compatible)
Input Signal Video Sync HDMI (v1.4) TMDS Fh = 15 ~ 180KHz ; Fv = 23~ 144Hz

Hi!

I am thinking about purchase a new monitor for mi MSI GF63 (i79750H, gtx1650 maxQ. After reading a lot, one owner of msi gf63 told me that with its HDMI 1.4b it only can reach 120hz and, in addition, you need a monitor that support 144hz by HDMI.
Someone can verify it?
How can i know that a monitor support 144hz by HDMI?
Thank you!

I found out that VIEWSONIC VX series VX2458 support hdmi at 144hz. User manual confirm it:
HDMI x 2 (v1.4 compatible)
Input Signal Video Sync HDMI (v1.4) TMDS Fh = 15 ~ 180KHz ; Fv = 23~ 144Hz
Please see section 5.

Jun 14, 2020
Hi Glen,
I wanted to know if the XG2402 can support freesync if using an hdmi 1.4, because in the manual it says that it supports 1080p at 120hz but it also says that freesync only works at NATIVE 144HZ so the question is if its connected by an hdmi (1.4) can it run freesync? (you did also state that it can run freesync over hdmi but it only has 2 1.4 ports meaning it caps out at 120hz so its not Native 144hz (i might be wrong so i need clarification)

And aslo if it can’t, will it work if I put the monitors refresh rate at 144hz so its “technically“ Native and since the hdmi can only output 120hz could it run freesync?

Thx alot...

Hi Glen,
I wanted to know if the XG2402 can support freesync if using an hdmi 1.4, because in the manual it says that it supports 1080p at 120hz but it also says that freesync only works at NATIVE 144HZ so the question is if its connected by an hdmi (1.4) can it run freesync? (you did also state that it can run freesync over hdmi but it only has 2 1.4 ports meaning it caps out at 120hz so its not Native 144hz (i might be wrong so i need clarification)

And aslo if it can’t, will it work if I put the monitors refresh rate at 144hz so its “technically“ Native and since the hdmi can only output 120hz could it run freesync?

Thx alot...
The XG2402 supports FreeSync as well as 1080p 144 Hz through its HDMI ports. HDMI 1.4 is not limited to 120 Hz on this monitor.

Reactions: DaLIMI03
Jun 12, 2020
Hello, I have a benQ xl2411T monitor which is 144hz however when i connect it to my GPU with a HDMI 2.1 cable, it only gives me a maximum rate of 60 hertz because apparantly you can only achieve 144hz with a DVI. Do you think using a HDMI to DVI adapter on this monitor would give me 144hz?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hello, I have a benQ xl2411T monitor which is 144hz however when i connect it to my GPU with a HDMI 2.1 cable, it only gives me a maximum rate of 60 hertz because apparantly you can only achieve 144hz with a DVI. Do you think using a HDMI to DVI adapter on this monitor would give me 144hz?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Does the thread not answer this question already?

TRENDING THREADS