[SOLVED] How to connect USB 3.2 Header into Maximus XIII motherboard

Feb 1, 2022
I'm building a new rig with the Asus Maxiumus Hero XIII and the Fractal Design 7 Compact case. Everything was fine until I started connecting cables.

The Design 7 comes with one USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable and the motherboard has two slots for USB 3.2 cables. Both are 20 pin connectors and have a notch to ensure you plug it in correctly. When I couldn't get it to plug in, I removed my heatsink, graphics card and motherboard to slide it in because Asus (in their infinite widsom) do not provide upright connectors only side connectors.

What I've found is that the 3.1 Gen 2 does not fit the 3.2 at all. They appear to be the same size but are not. Also, one of the connectors on the Asus motherboard has fewer pins than the other despite the manual showing they are the same. While I wait for Asus support to open, does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make these two work?

I read prior to purchase that these variations of USB were backwards compatible and they appear to be but are not.

PXL_20220131_145325876._exported_1643641916775266.jpg

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The issue is not with the board, but where the grommeted fold resides on the case. in fact pretty much all of Asus's high end gear have an angled USB port for USB3. You might also want to see if all the pins are straight and not at an angle inside the housing of the USB3.2 port. I suspect the latter to be the case to impede your installation.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The issue is not with the board, but where the grommeted fold resides on the case. in fact pretty much all of Asus's high end gear have an angled USB port for USB3. You might also want to see if all the pins are straight and not at an angle inside the housing of the USB3.2 port. I suspect the latter to be the case to impede your installation.

Solution
Feb 1, 2022
Thanks for the reply. I bent the one shown in the picture trying to install the cable with the motherboard mounted. That can be bent back but that one is also missing several pins. I doubt they just broke off because I couldn't even get the connector inside the casing.

Once I took the motherboard out to install it on the second port, that has all the pins and none are bent but it flat out will not go in. I can't seem to figure it out. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I've always used Asus motherboards and had some issues in the past due to the placement of ports on the right side but never like this where I had to remove everything for one cable.

Do I need an adapter or is it just me who can't seem to get this in? I'll gladly take the blame if it is me even though this isn't my first rodeo. Very frustrating.