How to copy windows 10 from one computer to another

Solution
installation media.
you cannot simply copy windows from one machine to another. differing hardware and drivers is just the beginning, there is also licensing issues...
install fresh

Well yes you can legally use one copy on two machines if the origin licence is retail and if you only use one machine at a time. The best way to do that is to clone one to the other. Be aware that the likely hood of cloning a system to a different machine successfully varies with the similarity of the main computer components in each computer. I would give a high chance of success to a clone of an Intel /ASUS based computer (motherboard, cpu especially ) to another such machine with only several years between them, and a low chance that the target would boot if it was an amd machine.

USAFRet

Titan

And after not too many reactivations and regular OS updates, one or both will return as Unactivated.

I'm not sure why you say that. I have three identical systems, the sole difference is the disk, using one install (2 are clones), so each uses the same digital licence. I have used only one at a time for the past two generations of Windows with no ill effects.
I have three different disks in this machine, two are backup clones of the C drive so the clones are bootable. I operate from any one (at a time) easily. Surely you are not suggesting one would need separate licences for back up purposes ?

USAFRet

Titan

For backups, obviously not.
For actual in use systems? Each system is supposed to have its own license.

USAFRet

Titan
Specifically:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/Useterms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement.

Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.

Microsoft allows you to move the retail (non oem) software from one machine to another, on the condition that the OS can only be active on one PC at a time. So technically "to move" it from one PC to another could be a clone where you are obligated to uninstall it from the previous PC . If a clone is not possible, then one would install it in the second machine and before it can be activated you’ll also need to call Microsoft and explain what you’re up to.

He said they were both laptops, so this does not come in to play.

USAFRet

Titan

Move it to a second machine? Sure.
This means uninstalling it from the first machine.

Earlier, you said:
"..you can legally use one copy on two machines if the origin licence is retail..."

I'd be very interested to see any text from MS that states this.

And as these systems are laptops, highly likely it is/was an OEM license. That is about the only case whereby a Win 10 cannot be moved to different hardware.

Of course, we've not heard back from the OP with any further details.

As for different hardware and actual functionality?
I've seen it fail between 2 almost identical HP (Intel) laptops, and seen it work changing from a Pentium G840 to a, i3-8100.
Always a crapshoot.