[SOLVED] how to correctly install kraken x63

kecmen

Prominent
Apr 11, 2020
Hi,
I've bought a NZXT kraken x63 and I have a Corsair Carbide Series 275Q chassis and Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 motherboard (links to specs are at the bottom).
But I have two questions regarding installation:
  1. What is the correct (or best) physical placement of radiator and fans.?
  2. How to connect fans and pump to MB?

1. Basically, I have both fans and radiator inside chassi sucking the air from inside. I'm not sure though, whether the order should be: chassis, fans, radiator, rest of the PC (motherboards, power...) or it should be chassis, radiator, fans. Also, I'm not sure what should be the best airflow direction in that case. It's not clear to me from the pictures in the manual. I found few videos of how to install kraken x62 (i guess it's pretty much the same with x63), but they all say different things (fans out of the box, airflow shoud go out or in, somebody even have each fan on radiator having different direction)
Currenty I have it like this - forepart of the chassis, radiator, boths fans sucking air from inside the PC and blowing it out (throught the radiator). See the attached picture. Is this correct? or would another configuration be more suitable? I also have another two fans at the end and at the top of the PC case, both sucking the air and pumping it outside.

2. Also, I wanted to ask how to connect the cooler to the MB. I connected the pump to CPU_FAN (altough some instructions say it should be CPU_OPT) and both fans to SYS_FAN[5|6]_PUMP. Is this the preferred way?

This is my box:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/Carbide-Series-275Q-Mid-Tower-Quiet-Gaming-Case-—-Black/p/CC-9011164-WW
This is my MB:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x#kfh
And here is the cooler:
https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x63

Any other advice regarding cooling would be welcomed

Thank you for any help and have a nice day
ABqlI.jpg

P9tBn.jpg

Qs7wF.jpg

Solution
Placement doesn't really matter. Top or front is intrinsically the same within a few °C for cpu/gpu. Even fan orientation is interchangeable according to wants, pull works better for low rpm fans, push works better for high rpm fans.

What matters most is air flow. Air in, air out in a nice, continuous stream. Front fans as an intake/top-rear as exhaust. So if you front mount the rad, the fans are set for intake, either push or pull and top-rear fans as exhaust. If you set the rad on top, it's fans either push or pull are set for exhaust, the front fans as intake.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)No, you don't actually. You have it at front exhaust at the moment.
open-grille.png

Flip those radiator fans around.

2)It shouldn't matter whether cpu_fan or cpu_opt, but I could be wrong. Cpu_opt is just cpu optional, for air coolers with a secondary fan.

kecmen

Prominent
Apr 11, 2020
1)No, you don't actually. You have it at front exhaust at the moment.
open-grille.png

Flip those radiator fans around.

2)It shouldn't matter whether cpu_fan or cpu_opt, but I could be wrong. Cpu_opt is just cpu optional, for air coolers with a secondary fan.
Actually now the fans on the radiator are pushing air from the chassis, through the radiator and the out of the box. Just fliping them would mean they suck the air from outside but throught the radiator. Shouldn't in such a case, the order be chassi, fans, radiator?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Placement doesn't really matter. Top or front is intrinsically the same within a few °C for cpu/gpu. Even fan orientation is interchangeable according to wants, pull works better for low rpm fans, push works better for high rpm fans.

What matters most is air flow. Air in, air out in a nice, continuous stream. Front fans as an intake/top-rear as exhaust. So if you front mount the rad, the fans are set for intake, either push or pull and top-rear fans as exhaust. If you set the rad on top, it's fans either push or pull are set for exhaust, the front fans as intake.

Solution