Question How to Defrag a WD MyCloud EX2 ?

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Posted on the WD site, but from past experience, I am not expecting a response. :D

I have a NAS setup on my network, all Cat6 connected not WiFi. My NAS is the WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra, and I have 2x4TB drives setup as JBOD not RAID. Each drive shows as a separate drive, one for TV Shows, and one for Movies. My Win10x64 PC is a few feet away, also Cat6 ethernet, and has a removeable SATA drive bay, and the NAS drives are mapped as Y:\ and Z:\... so I have 2x4TB HDDs that I do mirror backups to and keep in a case on a shelf as a backup.

Been fine for years, upgraded from 2TB to 4TB and by next year probably replace all my drives with 8TB thanks to 4k movies and a bigger TV. :D

Anyways... the MyCloud utilities has check disk, format, etc... but no defrag!

After years of add/delete/rename/replacing files, I think a defrag is due. The drives show on THIS PC as mapped network drives so I can add/delete from my PC easily, but right clicking them and going to properties, no TOOLS show up ?

Any ideas? ... any non-Linux ideas?

I don't believe it is possible to do any sector level, or file system level, work on a NAS drive. Your only option is via the NAS's internal tools.

Otherwise you could copy your files to another device, delete the originals, and then copy them back again.

TRENDING THREADS