[SOLVED] How to delete Window folder from old computer

gr0bda

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I have installed Win10 fresh on new computer on new HD, but kept the old HD just so I can dip into Users folder and retrieve saves and so on. I don't need the Windows folder any longer, but I can't delete it, because it's protected better than fort Knox. I tried all sort of permission changes, but in the end its always something. It's 30GB I would like it back.

Unfortunately also every time I try changing some new permissions it restarts the whole recycling process of 300K file or what not that takes forever, just to fail miserably again, asking me if I want to retry. God forbid I accidentally click ok, madness continues running through 300K files again.
There must be an easier full proof way, no?

gr0bda

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I can't format. I already have said I needed to preserve certain content in amount preventing me from just copying to another HD. Why can't I just delete what belongs to me.

gardenman

Splendid
Try this:
  • Rename the folder to Windows.old
  • Move any other folders that you want to remove to inside of the Windows.old folder (such as Program Files, etc).
  • Use Disk Cleanup and be sure to choose the correct drive.
  • Choose Clean up system files.
  • Check the "Previous Windows Installations(s)" and OK.

This will not delete the hidden boot up partition which is usually pretty small anyway and doesn't take much space away from the drive.

Reactions: gr0bda

gr0bda

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Try this:
  • Rename the folder to Windows.old
  • Move any other folders that you want to remove to inside of the Windows.old folder (such as Program Files, etc).
  • Use Disk Cleanup and be sure to choose the correct drive.
  • Choose Clean up system files.
  • Check the "Previous Windows Installations(s)" and OK.
This will not delete the hidden boot up partition which is usually pretty small anyway and doesn't take much space away from the drive.
Thank you, I'll try that.