How to delete XP restore points

kumaran

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Dear experts,
I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
How can I delete some of them?.

Regards
Kumaran

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Right click My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Then
highlight the appropriate drive and click 'Settings...'. Adjust the slider
as needed. I have the disk space for SR set to 550 MBs, which allows for
6/7 checkpoints. Some checkpoints will then be deleted.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> wrote in message
> Dear experts,
> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
> How can I delete some of them?.
>
> Regards
> Kumaran

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Another option is to click on the more options tab of disk cleanup. There
you can delete all but the most recent restore point.

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> wrote in message
> Dear experts,
> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
> How can I delete some of them?.
>
> Regards
> Kumaran

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Kumaran typed:

From: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

To enable or disable System Restore, perform the following steps:

Start the System Control Panel applet. Select the System Restore tab. Clear
the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box to enable System
Restore, or select this check box to disable System Restore. Click OK.
Also here:

*To delete older restore points, but leave the system restore turned on:
Right Click the Drive in question/Properties/Disk Cleanup/More
Options/System Restore/Cleanup.*

You can also click the Settings button to set a maximum amount of space that
you want each drive to use for restore information. If the drive you select
isn't the system drive, you can also disable System Restore on a per-drive
basis. The maximum amount of space that you can use for restore information
is 12 percent per drive.

An alternative to the usual method of enabling and disabling Windows XP's
System Restore feature is to use the registry. To use this alternative,
perform the following steps: Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.
If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD
value, and create the value.
Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr to prevent the
System Restore service from starting.

Double-click Start, and set the value to 4 to stop the service from starting
or to 0 for normal startup. Close the registry editor.

--
McPloppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

If you use Disk Cleanup and look in the More Options Tab
then you can Remove all but the latest Restore Point - do
this periodically when the Computer is ok

If you have more than one hard drive, disable all but C: for restore point
monitoring.

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> wrote in message
> Dear experts,
> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
> How can I delete some of them?.
>
> Regards
> Kumaran

kumaran

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Dear experts,
I thank you all for your suggestions. I will try doing it over the week end.

Regards
Kumaran

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> wrote in message
> Dear experts,
> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
> How can I delete some of them?.
>
> Regards
> Kumaran

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

There you can make your space for restore smaller.
Go to the control panel--->system--->restore page.

"Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:cioq41$bql$1@ns1.fe.internet.bosch.com...
> Dear experts,
> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
> How can I delete some of them?.
>
> Regards
> Kumaran

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can delete XP restore point by clicking Disk Cleanup
Go to More Option and click Clean Up on System Restore.
This will only leave the last Restore Point.

Ben" <000@000.000> wrote in message
> There you can make your space for restore smaller.
> Go to the control panel--->system--->restore page.
>
> "Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com>
> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:cioq41$bql$1@ns1.fe.internet.bosch.com...
>> Dear experts,
>> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
>> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up space.
>> How can I delete some of them?.
>>
>> Regards
>> Kumaran

utahlanman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage, microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Is there any way to script this in a batch file or logon script,
though? I'd like to automate this process for several machines.

Thanks.

William Babcock wrote:
> You can delete XP restore point by clicking Disk Cleanup
> Go to More Option and click Clean Up on System Restore.
> This will only leave the last Restore Point.
>
> Ben" <000@000.000> wrote in message
> > There you can make your space for restore smaller.
> > Go to the control panel--->system--->restore page.
> >
> > "Kumaran" <subbarayan.elangkumaran@de.bosch.com>
> > ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:cioq41$bql$1@ns1.fe.internet.bosch.com...
> >> Dear experts,
> >> I'm using Win XP Pro SP1.
> >> I'm having too many primitive restore points that are taking up
space.
> >> How can I delete some of them?.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Kumaran

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

How To Use the System Restore Utility with Windows Management Instrumentation in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295299&sd=tech

System Restore WMI Classes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/sr/system_restore_wmi_classes.asp

--