Question How to disable access to the router login page from Internet?

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
I just got a new router Zyxel EX5601-T0. Everything goes well, except that I discovered accidentally that the admin interface can be accessed by anyone on the internet. This has never happened to me before (I used several routers before). Actually because of an indirect help from a subdomain (pointing to my public IP) that I discovered the problem. My problem is I tried to find where I can block the access to my router in the settings, but I can not find where to do it?? - I thought under the firewall, but there is no option for that except Access Control with an option to add a new ACL Rule!!

Any help or an idea is very appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
I just got a new router Zyxel EX5601-T0. Everything goes well, except that I discovered accidentally that the admin interface can be accessed by anyone on the internet. This has never happened to me before (I used several routers before). Actually because of an indirect help from a subdomain (pointing to my public IP) that I discovered the problem. My problem is I tried to find where I can block the access to my router in the settings, but I can not find where to do it?? - I thought under the firewall, but there is no option for that except Access Control with an option to add a new ACL Rule!!

The manual I found -- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2859634/Zyxel-Communications-Ax-Series.html#product-EX5601-T0
Shows that there may be a screen like on page 388 of the manual. That is accessed by Maintenance > Remote Management > MGMT Services

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
The manual I found -- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2859634/Zyxel-Communications-Ax-Series.html#product-EX5601-T0
Shows that there may be a screen like on page 388 of the manual. That is accessed by Maintenance > Remote Management > MGMT Services
There is no such "
Maintenance > Remote Management > MGMT Services
" in my router settings. I have under maintenance: System, User Account, Time Backup/Restore, Reboot and Diagnostic. The manual you linked is different, and I assure you that I have Zyxel EX5601-T0.

USAFRet

Titan
There is no such "

" in my router settings. I have under maintenance: System, User Account, Time Backup/Restore, Reboot and Diagnostic. The manual you linked is different, and I assure you that I have Zyxel EX5601-T0.

You can download your user manual here:

They ask for FAR too much info to get that actual download.

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
You can download your user manual here:

They ask for FAR too much info to get that actual download.
I went through the settings several times yesterday and today. I am sure that there is no place like "Remote Management". And I knew about "Remote Management" before I asked the question, but it doesn't exist. it's unbelievable.
71qKBh.png

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

Did you test this access via a cell phone without WIFI or some other device that is guaranteed to not be on your LAN? Your router could have "hairpin NAT" which a LAN device can use the WAN IP address without an error. That could give your a false positive.

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
Did you test this access via a cell phone without WIFI or some other device that is guaranteed to not be on your LAN? Your router could have "hairpin NAT" which a LAN device can use the WAN IP address without an error. That could give your a false positive.
I tried access my public IP and my Nextcloud (using a subdomain pointing to my public IP) with my phone (using 4G) and surprising I can not access!!!
Now I don't understand what's happening?!!!
Why from my pc I can access my router login using my public IP or my subdomain?????
I am very LOST!!!!

USAFRet

Titan
I tried access my public IP and my Nextcloud (using a subdomain pointing to my public IP) with my phone (using 4G) and surprising I can not access!!!
Why from my pc I can access my router login using my public IP or my subdomain?????
I am very LOST!!!!
You need to do a real test, from some system outside your LAN.

This means actually going outside, to somewhere else.

kanewolf

Titan
I am very LOST!!!!
Your router was providing "hairpin NAT". JUST as I suspected. By using your phone on 4G you were outside your LAN. That is the only valid way to test external access. Google "hairpin NAT" for more info.

I don't believe your router admin IS exposed to the WAN. You had a false positive because of the hairpin NAT.

Reactions: kurt16A

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
Your router was providing "hairpin NAT". JUST as I suspected. By using your phone on 4G you were outside your LAN. That is the only valid way to test external access. Google "hairpin NAT" for more info.

I don't believe your router admin IS exposed to the WAN. You had a false positive because of the hairpin NAT.

kurt16A

Commendable
May 24, 2020
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your answers and help. You point me to something important when you sad to try outside my LAN. I panicked when I saw the router login page when I use my public IP or my subdomain. Thanks again.