how to disable page file?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I went into system settings and completely turned it off, restart the computer and it is still being used. I am not getting the right performance in a new game despite being a bit past the recommended specs and seeing benchmarks with similar setups getting better performance. It might just be poor benchmarks that did not test areas that get many dips, but I want to test some random things.

I just restart my PC and currently with 5 tabs open and nothing else I have 6.1gb of pagefile being used and 3.2gb of ram, but 16gb total. When playing the game last night the pagefile was at 19gb and ram usage was at around 9/16. Shouldn't I see 0 under pagefile since I turned it off? What am I missing here? I am using 2 Samsung solid state drives and it shows in the settings right now no pagefile.

I am seeing this via afterburner, any help would be great. thanks.

Solution
Existence of the pagefile, or lack thereof, will not impact your gameplay. Unless you actually have no pagefile AND very limited RAM.

So...how much physical RAM do you have?
The wisest action is to leave the pagefile alone, and let the OS manage it.

USAFRet

Titan
Existence of the pagefile, or lack thereof, will not impact your gameplay. Unless you actually have no pagefile AND very limited RAM.

So...how much physical RAM do you have?
The wisest action is to leave the pagefile alone, and let the OS manage it.

Solution
What MSI afterburner calls "Pagefile Usage" actually is Commited Memory value from Task Manager.
To get real pagefile usage you have to use Performance Monitor.

And pagefile must exist or you'll run into all kinds of virtual memory subsystem issues.
Set pagefile to 1GB initial, 8GB max and monitor pagefile size. If it ever grows, then increase min value accordingly.

It's not nice to second guess windows.

The page file is there for a reason.
If windows needs it and you do not have a page file, performance will suffer.
If windows does not need it, the only cost is a small amount of drive space.
The space might have been an issue way back when ssd space was very expensive, but no more today.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
ok thanks.. I have 16gb of memory. Right now playing Fallout 76 it shows the system is using 7.6gb of RAM and 13gb of pagefile. I opened chrome up while in the game with 6 tabs and RAM is 8.2, pagefile 14gb.

sounds like the best thing to do is just put the settings back to system managed. i was just trying random things to see why fallout 76 doesn't hit anywhere near the benchmarks online, but i think they just did a poor job giving accurate benchmarks. a rx580 8gb and 1060 show 80fps+ avg with 97% at 60 (whatever that means). i'm use to seeing avg and then a 1% or .1% low. would this mean they are averaging 80fps, but 97% of the frames are at 60? seems like a confusing way to post results. unless it means 3% low is 60 and 97% of the frames are above that?

maybe they put it backwards and the lower number is meant to be the average fps and the higher one is the highest hit. i see a million benchmarks and never once where they use this format.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/RZTrKJjQ7UftRvznaxCo6n-650-80.png

Based on this a RX480 4gb on medium settings should be able to not have so much dips into the 40s unless they only test starting area that runs super smooth all the time.