How To Easily Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I found a Batch + VBS combo that I modified to 1) Allow for UAC prompt so you can remove it properly on any PC 2) It also find the hidden folder it downloads everything to, takes permission, and then deletes it all 3) removes and then automatically hide that update.

Plus took you guys long enough. I knew about this update the day windows 10 came out XD

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Honestly I expected more. I've known about this and been copying and pasting the method over and over again on forums. I'd also add to run disk clean up and make it look for leftover windows update files to get rid of the 4GB of windows 10 that it downloads.

Plus the update comes back even if you hide it. It'll get auto installed or sneak itself into a list of other updates.

Please keep an eye out as this update may come back from time to time.

If you are set to only get important updates(instead or optional/recommended), you will not see it at all to begin with(confirmed this on 2 systems.).

Will they push it harder later? most likely.

I typed this post on Windows 10 :)

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Watch out for KB3112343. It basically installs a Win10 backdoor or something, claiming it's making it easier to upgrade from Win 7 / 8.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Really? This process has been around for a longggggg time. The problem is that the update gets re installed all the time. I just move the tray icon to the hidden spot and then set the settings to "never show icon or notifications."

This way the update is still present but it never nags. I don't have to worry about it getting re installed because I never removed it.. I just hid it.

LordConrad

Distinguished
After you uninstall KB3035583 the first time, it becomes a "required" update on your computer. The next time this update appears, it will auto-download if you have automatic updates turned on.

I run GWX Control Panel after uninstalling and hiding KB3035583, so I will be warned if Microsoft tries to sneak it back on my PC.

Colin Lee

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
I found the easiest way to get rid of this was to upgrade to Windows 10 ;).
You beat me to it, I mean why wouldn't you take a free upgrade to a better OS. I think that's why it's so late. They've all been trying their best not to be the one writing it.

sesam

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I know i`ll get downvoted a lot ... but why not to upgrade to Win 10 ? :) It`s amazing :p

I'm not upgrading because I own Windows 7 Ultimate retail licenses for all my computers. The free Windows 10 upgrade is an OEM license. So it is only valid on a single hardware/computer.

For anyone that frequently upgrades hardware, the free Windows 10 upgrade is nothing more than a trial/beta. So essentially if I opted for the free upgrade, in a year or so I would have to make the decision to buy a Windows 10 license or reinstall Windows 7. So I might just not upgrade to Windows 10 at all.

As for Windows 10 it is decent, a couple of new handy features, but also a bunch of bugs were introduced.

Chris Bedford

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
"why wouldn't you take a free upgrade to a better OS"

Hmmm, let's see
- 4 GB download, which a lot of people have to pay extra for
- a further 1-4 GB of updates once the base W10 is installed
- a day during which your computer is doing stuff you can't interrupt and you can't use the computer for anything else
- "better" is a matter of opinion which a lot of people don't share with you
- about half the upgrades I have seen - and that would be a LOT of them - have been problematic, requiring between 1 and 4 hours' support to get them working again the way they were before
- the card games have to be downloaded and they SUCK compared to W7's

So, *that's* why *I* wouldn't upgrade. Speaking for myself, you understand.

I know this is a "nerd" forum, but some people take that definition way out there, don't they. "I think this, therefore everyone should think this". Sure thing, dude, let's all do everything your way.

Chris Bedford

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

sesam

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Well... talked with MS help centre about this and they said that the license version stays as before.

Win 8.1 OEM upgrades to Win 10 OEM
Win 8.1 Retail upgrades to Win 10 Retail

Checked my license and it tells me it`s retail:

http://i.imgur.com/OHOMB4A.jpg

About 4GB download complain ... in what country do you still have data limitation ? Given the fact that for a modern game you have to download about 25-50 GB of data ... 4GB download is a walk in the park.

A day that you can`t interrupt your PC from doing stuff .. then how do you even have Win 7 or 8 on your PC and not XP ? Nobody has time to update their PC :)

Card games .. actually i enjoy those pretty much on Win 10

I know that each of us use their PC differently but i`m sick of the internet bandwagon of not update all over again, it happened when XP came out ... everybody was sticking to Win 98 like it was the holy grail of OS.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
What OS would that be? windows 7 and 8 have the same tracking problems as 10 at least in 10 you can shut them off in 7 and 8 they are in updates:
The updates in question are:

KB3068708 – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.
KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) – This update adds the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices.
KB3075249
– This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature in order to collect data on elevations that come from low integrity levels.
KB3080149 – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.

And you just can't turn them off you have to uninstall them and block them.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

I can confirm it's the same on my desktop as well, retail 7->retail 10 and my notebook has OEM 10 because it was on OEM 8.1.

Honestly, I meant that as a joke. If you really want to stay with 7 just turn off automatic updates and pick and choose when the updates come in to avoid the ones that add the nags. Is it a pain? Yes, but you're still getting updates for free and you OS is 2 versions old. Most software companies would have stopped updating Windows 7 the day Windows 8 came out.

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015
This article is incomplete to the point of being misleading. KB3035583 is the main update for W-10, but it has an accomplice in KB2952664 and KB2976978, respectively, for W-7 and W-8. Both of these updates must be uninstalled and then hidden when they reappear. And they will reappear soon because Terry Myerson, Microsoft Executive Vice President of Windows and Devices Group, announced that the updates will soon be reclassified as Recommended, meaning that unless users change their update preferences, the vampires will return.
http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

I posted a more complete answer on Microsoft Answers, "How to disable the Windows 10 update in Windows 7":
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/how-to-disable-the-windows-10-update-in-windows-7/8e0664a0-d331-41bd-80f1-6376ccd6f3f0

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I'll just chuck my 2 bits in here...
If you upgrade from a retail version then you will have a retail licence. Microsoft themselves have confirmed this several times.

As for why you wouldn't want to upgrade... There are a few genuine reasons but they tend to be specific to the individuals case as opposed to a general rule of why a previous version is 'better'. At the end of the day it is that user's choice to upgrade or not.

I upgraded all the PCs/Laptops in the house (4) to Windows 10 because there was nothing I could do on the older OS that I can't now while there are things I can now do that I couldn't before. The next reason was because it was free... and while I could have easily 'put it off' at some point I would of had to have upgraded because I don't want to end up paying hundreds of pounds for something that is currently free.

At the end of the day I like Windows 10 and I am glad I upgraded... On a side note I have also upgraded my Lumia 735 to Windows 10 Mobile and again I like it and it gives me a lot more than I had with WP8.1.

Lastly... There is a very real and significant reason why many users will 'hide' behind all sorts of arguments about not upgrading and that is because they still use systems like RemoveWAT to bypass the Genuine Authentication meaning that they haven't paid for their previous OS and so they would have to pay for it now.

f-14

Distinguished
Just unintall all the optional updates by microsoft from 2013 on, they are all windows 10 updates for nagware and spyware of your OS that downlaod that windows 10 trojan horse installer in the back ground, you have to write them down then when you update again you have to block them all. last i knew there were 12 of them that if you looked up on the m/s knowledge boards were posted as having to do with windows 10 upgrade check files and installers.

i had to format after f'ing up windows 7 so bad trying to shut down every possible service i didn't need so i tried out windows 10 right now, other wise i'd post the list of hidden updates i carefully researched, but it's all the optional updates since february 2013.
i'm going to uninstall windows 10 after the new year, the DRM on it is a massive nightmare and it auto updates at the worst time and forces updates on you when you don't want them despite turning off automatic updates, worst is it downloads this stuff int he back ground while you are gaming. alot of nvidia drivers are failing with windows 10 and so is alot of hardware once you install manufacturers drivers. i just lost my card reader and both dvd drives and my dvd software. few weeks back an nvidia driver kept causing blue screens of death and a driver a month before that also.... i liked windows 98, xp and 7 piss me off their automatic handling of everything i know how to set better than the OS and faster. if it weren't for having to download patches for everything i would be done with the internet and keep the older OS. just a damn shame the new games are only made to work on the newest OS.....it sure has bit Halo2 in the arse, along with alot of other windows vista games.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
How about an article on how to get Windows 10 to not be so intrusive with its updates. I hate being in the middle of a Netflix show and a box pops up in the middle of my screen that says it is time to update. It is so obnoxious. I know about the setting to a metered network, but I mean, come in really???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS