How to enable windows 10 free upgrade on second HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodgenie4u

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I have two HDD on my desktop each 250 Gig's. The processor is dual core. The boot-able one in Windows 7 and I see in the tray, the offer for the free upgrade to Windows 10 awaiting the official release. The Win 7 was installed by a friend that is now out of the country.

The other HDD was the original boot-able HDD when I bought the desktop and it has Vista on it. I do not use it anymore. I would like the offer for Windows 10 on my Windows 7 HDD to be installed on the Vista HDD. I am not an OS skilled person. However I have no trouble following literal sequenced instructions.I have never gone into the Bios.

I'd like to try out Windows 10. I have Win 8.1 on my laptop and I do not like it, as at 70 yrs, the new apps do little to spark my imagination or tastes. All I need is to use Office, Acrobat and the desktop /sync function for my eternally surviving Palm TX that works on Win 7 and keeps me organized while freeing my human memory from things that are unimportant once done.

A step approach would be most appreciated so I can at boot time pick one or the other.

Thanks
Dennis

Solution
From what I can tell... with your setup you can only upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10. There is no upgrade path for Vista users.

HOWEVER... there is a way you can do what you want. I just read yesterday that Microsoft will allow Windows Insiders who are using Windows 10 a FREE Upgrade and you don't need Win 7/8 installed. That would be your best course of action.

Step 1. Download Windows 10 Preview and INSTALL IT OVER YOUR VISTA so you'll have a DUAL BOOT of Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview... and connect it to your MS account after you log in. Then only upgrade the Windows 10 Preview to the full Windows 10 and you'll keep you Windows 7 side.

Source...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
From what I can tell... with your setup you can only upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10. There is no upgrade path for Vista users.

HOWEVER... there is a way you can do what you want. I just read yesterday that Microsoft will allow Windows Insiders who are using Windows 10 a FREE Upgrade and you don't need Win 7/8 installed. That would be your best course of action.

Step 1. Download Windows 10 Preview and INSTALL IT OVER YOUR VISTA so you'll have a DUAL BOOT of Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview... and connect it to your MS account after you log in. Then only upgrade the Windows 10 Preview to the full Windows 10 and you'll keep you Windows 7 side.

Source:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-insiders-get-windows-10-free-windows-781-not-required

Solution

100pr00f

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
Not Gonna work. Reread that article, it has been updated

Update: Microsoft silently updated their original blog post, reaffirming that a genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 license is required for a legitimate activated copy of Windows 10. Original story follows.

I want To use windows 10 but don't want to lose windows 7 which is retail version.

The Big Q Is will those with retail versions end up getting windows 10 oem. Most of use here build and replace parts every now and again to keep up with the times and or to better the performance. Don't want to lose the Retail version which can be reinstalled on other computers after you last one bites the dust Mobo wise

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I've read that if you have Windows 7 or 8.1 Retail or OEM the Windows 10 upgrade will be Retail if you upgraded from a Windows 7 or 8.1 retail or OEM if you upgraded from and Windows 7 or 8.1 OEM.

USAFRet

Titan

Retail Win 7/8.1 = Retail Win 10
OEM Win 7/8.1 = OEM Win 10.

USAFRet

Titan

This is only if you remain a participant in the Insider Program. It is not an upgrade to anything.
You will be a permanent beta tester.

RealBeast

Titan
I would not be too sure about such details yet as far as the difference between retail and OEM as far as what it allows, the Microsoft FAQ Q&A indicates that may not be the case as I have bolded at the end of one of the FAQ answers on upgrading Windows 10 after the upgrade:

"Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device."

Now they may allow transfer to other machines, as Windows 7 retail and all Windows 8 versions allow if you follow the restrictions about uninstalling and not transferring the machine to another, etc., but they may not and we don't know yet for sure.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

The question is specifically asked about RETAIL versus OEM on upgrade. I read this somewhere else that if you upgrade is an OEM Windows 10 license is OEM and if the upgrade license is Retail the upgrade license remains retail.

From the link below. I

If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from a store (brick and mortar or online/digital) and I upgrade to the free Windows 10 can I transfer that to a new computer under the retail licensing? (23 June 2015)

YES

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-frequently-asked-questions

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/the-free-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-windows-7-oem/b622ef33-ac69-4ca1-b7d1-9aa08321809f?auth=1

RealBeast

Titan
That would be nice, and hopefully Microsoft will allow that and clarify it specifically. None of your links are from official Microsoft and the latest statement from Microsoft in the FAQ is at odds with the current policy, so as I said we will have to wait to know for sure.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Yes but they are from Microsoft sites and I'm sure MS doesn't want false material in their Microsoft community discussions and with Windows Supersite (who has supported Windows for years) . Your link doesn't mention OEM versus Retail.

In the past when MS has offered Windows free if you but a pc with the old OS and you get the new OS free when it comes was handled by the OEM's. I did this with Vista to Windows 7. I purchased a HP with Vista and had to sign up at a MS site but i received the upgrade from the OEM not MS. The OEM Windows now is an agreement by you the buyer and the OEM. With Windows 10 MS is doing the licensing on behalf of the OEM.

Plus the info on the Supersite is new information

USAFRet

Titan

It may not 'make sense', but most of the verbiage from MS has been "for the life of that device" or similar.
Let us wait and see.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Most of the things i've read about life of device meaning are not by Microsoft. It's from someone else. Life of device to means as long as it works. Now OEM's devices's are tied to the motherboard but if your breaks it's still the same device if you replace it with the same mobo and processor and the devices works again everything is cool.

USAFRet

Titan

---------------------------------------------
From the Win 10 FAQ
What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.

Now...what does that mean, exactly? Your guess is as good as mine.

goodgenie4u

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

BTW I started this thread and I was unable to install Win 10 tech trial over it. I read all the viewpoints and am convinced I cannot. I will reformat the drive and set it up as a RAID drive for the win 7 and then win 10 upgrade drive.

On the point you made above. On this same computer 3 yrs ago, Vista on the boot drive, the MOBO and power supply died. I found the exact MOBO and replaced the PS. Pressed the button and it powered up. However !! the MOBO serial number could not be reconciled by Vista. My son's brother in law, computer science eng. fixed it somehow. He installed Win 7 on the 2nd HDD and allowed me to select one or the other at boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.