How to extend printer usb cable?

ron2456

Distinguished
How do I extend the printer USB cable? I want to move the printer to a new location on a cupboard that is a few meters from the usb of the motherboard / cpu.
I have made a rough schematic, it might help you to understand better.
Also I have heard that using a usb extension cable hurts the signal sent by the usb? Is it correct?
581KZHz.jpg

ron2456

Distinguished

No, this printer has no lan port so wont work. Will there be any signal loss with this cable?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes. The length limit for a USB2 cable is 15 ft; for a USB3 device it's 10 ft. I have used a 10 ft cable on a USB2 printer for years and it worked just fine.

As scout_03 said, an alternative is to use a device called a USB Print Server like this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833139009&cm_re=USB_print_server-_-33-139-009-_-Product

It comes with its own power supply and an ethernet cable. You use a USB2 cable to connect from this unit's USB2 port to your printer's USB port, connect power to it, and use the ethernet cable to connect to your own wired network IF you have one set up. Then the printer is available to ALL computers on your network - you just have to go to each computer and add it as a network printer resource.

TRENDING THREADS