[SOLVED] How to extend the life span of my SSD?

Rodoux

Reputable
Nov 21, 2020
I'm gonna replace the SSD of my laptop since it has only 3% life left, but I bought the laptop just bought my laptop about 1 year and 10 months ago. Researching I have found that there are things which decrease it is life span such as not defragment, not keeping the SSD full, not saving large videos, but what else can I do in order to not have to change the SSD every al most 2 years?

Solution
I know, the one that is going to die before 2 years of use is the one that came with the laptop, so I'm wondering why it was it is life span so short, and I'm afraid that it could happen again.
Sometimes they just die.

I've had 1 SSD die....that was just suddenly poof, dead. Just a little over 3 years.
No "3% lifespan" or anything. Just instantly dead.
Warranty replacement, recover the data from my backup.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Buy a good quality device.
  2. Don't fill it up past 80%.

That is all.
I don't know where you heard anything about not saving large videos, but no.

The most recent of the SSDs in my system is 18 months old. A couple others just turned 7 years old.
Yours going bad in under 2 years is NOT common.

Reactions: Rodoux

Rodoux

Reputable
Nov 21, 2020
I know, the one that is going to die before 2 years of use is the one that came with the laptop, so I'm wondering why it was it is life span so short, and I'm afraid that it could happen again.

USAFRet

Titan
Sometimes they just die.

I've had 1 SSD die....that was just suddenly poof, dead. Just a little over 3 years.
No "3% lifespan" or anything. Just instantly dead.
Warranty replacement, recover the data from my backup.

Solution
Dec 16, 2021
My SSD from Dell only lasted 2 years before I started getting the blue screen of death with every error name under the sun. However, what I wish I had known then was that Windows 10 automatically defragments your drive regularly as the default setting. I never checked if Windows was defragging the whole time because I assumed that the default setting was NOT deframenting the SSD drive.

Do any folks have any brand recommendations for more reliable SSD hard drives?

My SSD from Dell only lasted 2 years before I started getting the blue screen of death with every error name under the sun. However, what I wish I had known then was that Windows 10 automatically defragments your drive regularly as the default setting. I never checked if Windows was defragging the whole time because I assumed that the default setting was NOT deframenting the SSD drive.

If you look in the optimize feature for the disk it should ID the ssd as a ssd and switch to retrim.
If the ID shows as a hdd then defrag is enabled which is just useless writes going to the ssd so that needs to be fixed.

Brand......WD....Samsung.....Crucial.

Reactions: boli and Rodoux

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 7 and later knows the difference.
It does NOT do the regular old school "defrag" on an SSD.

Dec 16, 2021
Windows 7 and later knows the difference.
It does NOT do the regular old school "defrag" on an SSD.
Interesting. I’m still learning about this stuff, but when I installed windows 10 on my new SSD, I went into defrag settings and the default was set to “weekly” so I changed it to never, as recommended by the installation instructions on this site. So even though it said Windows 10 would defrag weekly, it wouldn’t have actually done so?

USAFRet

Titan
Interesting. I’m still learning about this stuff, but when I installed windows 10 on my new SSD, I went into defrag settings and the default was set to “weekly” so I changed it to never, as recommended by the installation instructions on this site. So even though it said Windows 10 would defrag weekly, it wouldn’t have actually done so?
Correct.
It says (mostly) 'defrag', but it does not actually do that.

Trun it back on, and just leave it.