[SOLVED] How to extend wifi range?

lightningstrikey

Commendable
Jun 1, 2018
Hi. My house is quite big, and im moving out of my room to another room, in which wifi can barelly reach me. And im moving into that room my pc as well. What do I do to make my wifi reach my room, so I can connect my pc to it? I cant really get a long net cable and drill holes. Thanks for any advice.

Solution
Hi. My house is quite big, and im moving out of my room to another room, in which wifi can barelly reach me. And im moving into that room my pc as well. What do I do to make my wifi reach my room, so I can connect my pc to it? I cant really get a long net cable and drill holes. Thanks for any advice.
There is no magic. I would recommend you use powerline network adapters -- Something like these -- https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-pa9020p-kit-up-to-2-0gbps/p/N82E16833704310 You put an ethernet cable from the primary router to one unit. Plug that unit in the wall and plug the other unit into the wall in your room. You then plug your PC into that new ethernet port. Those are US versions, but there are versions...

kanewolf

Titan
There is no magic. I would recommend you use powerline network adapters -- Something like these -- https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-pa9020p-kit-up-to-2-0gbps/p/N82E16833704310 You put an ethernet cable from the primary router to one unit. Plug that unit in the wall and plug the other unit into the wall in your room. You then plug your PC into that new ethernet port. Those are US versions, but there are versions for most countries. The keywords to search for a "AV2" and "mimo". Those models provide top performance.

Solution

lightningstrikey

Commendable
Jun 1, 2018
There is no magic. I would recommend you use powerline network adapters -- Something like these -- https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-pa9020p-kit-up-to-2-0gbps/p/N82E16833704310 You put an ethernet cable from the primary router to one unit. Plug that unit in the wall and plug the other unit into the wall in your room. You then plug your PC into that new ethernet port. Those are US versions, but there are versions for most countries. The keywords to search for a "AV2" and "mimo". Those models provide top performance.
I will definitely try it! Thanks

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Also, don't forget about wifi extenders... For example I use the Netgear EX7300 but there are many, many approaches.

You can also research "mesh wifi". A lot depends on if you are able to invest in a good solution. Since you have a big house, I hope you can... :)

R

kanewolf

Titan
Also, don't forget about wifi extenders... For example I use the Netgear EX7300 but there are many, many approaches.

You can also research "mesh wifi". A lot depends on if you are able to invest in a good solution. Since you have a big house, I hope you can... :)

R
Mesh is a marketing term for WIFI extender. Some have dedicated backhaul radios, but they still are just WIFI extenders. WIFI extenders, have performance and interference problems. Use them only as a last resort, IMO.

Jul 6, 2020
Simply finding a new location for your wireless router can have a dramatic impact on your WiFi signal for a variety of reasons. You should strive for a central location that is free from physical obstructions like walls and doors if possible. Don’t keep your router in a closet or a desk drawer if you hope to realize its true potential signals range.