[SOLVED] How to figure out if Dell is adding the right fans to my build?

Aug 4, 2021
I am in the market for a new computer and do not have the know how to build one on my own. I am trying to cofigure the best Dell that suits my needs. I do not do much graphics intensive gaming, but the intended use is for financial charting software. I will be looking to add 4-27in 4k monitors to the system. I configured the box to my satisfaction, but now I am concerned that the cooling system will be subpar because there is no option to at least read which fans come with the box and if they will be adequate. I also would like to make sure the power supply is not too cheap for the box.

My questions: How to make sure the fans and power supply are adequate cause no mention when configuring the machine on Dell's website, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions or some clarifications through education to aide in my computer search welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
I am in the market for a new computer and do not have the know how to build one on my own. I am trying to cofigure the best Dell that suits my needs. I do not do much graphics intensive gaming, but the intended use is for financial charting software. I will be looking to add 4-27in 4k monitors to the system. I configured the box to my satisfaction, but now I am concerned that the cooling system will be subpar because there is no option to at least read which fans come with the box and if they will be adequate. I also would like to make sure the power supply is not too cheap for the box.

My questions: How to make sure the fans and power supply are adequate cause no mention when configuring the machine on Dell's website, Any...

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
There is a lot of factors in play when trying to determine if PSU and fans are adequate for your PC.

Such as the PC case used, the hardware; whether or not your PSU have enough watts to feed it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

My questions: How to make sure the fans and power supply are adequate cause no mention when configuring the machine on Dell's website, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions or some clarifications through education to aide in my computer search welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help.

You can be assured with Dell that the cooling system will be subpar. Even their marketing images often show a cooler that they don't ship. They will also let you check out with a dual channel memory configuration and ship a single channel configuration. Most Dell systems still use proprietary motherboards/chassis and power supplies that basically can't be replaced except with Dell parts.

If I had to pick an OEM to buy from, I think HP is currently the leader in technical competence. Particularly their Omen line. Don't let the 'gaming' branding trick you, same basic parts that you would find in a higher tier office PC, but they use standard Micro ATX, Standard PSUs, and do ship dual channel memory configurations as promised.

Another alternative would be to buy from a Boutique builder. If you tell us your budget, shouldn't be too hard to configure something from the likes of CyberPowerPC, NZXTs build service, or take a look through Newegg's options. Then if you have money to burn and want the highest quality, there are the fancy builders like Falcon Northwest, Maingear, DigitalStorm, etc.

Solution

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
You can be assured with Dell that the cooling system will be subpar. Even their marketing images often show a cooler that they don't ship. They will also let you check out with a dual channel memory configuration and ship a single channel configuration. Most Dell systems still use proprietary motherboards/chassis and power supplies that basically can't be replaced except with Dell parts.

If I had to pick an OEM to buy from, I think HP is currently the leader in technical competence. Particularly their Omen line. Don't let the 'gaming' branding trick you, same basic parts that you would find in a higher tier office PC, but they use standard Micro ATX, Standard PSUs, and do ship dual channel memory configurations as promised.
As a recent owner of both an Alienware Aurora R10 and an HP Omen 30L, the HP Omen uses really good parts, much better cooling than the Alienware desktops. The cooling system in the Alienware isn't just subpar, "its crap".

The Omen has a much better cooling system but it's not optimal either. With the room you have in the Omen case you can afford to change things up. The one area where the Omen could have used better cooling, would have been a fan on top but that's glass and shows the front RGB diamond.

I'm not a huge fan of CyberPower. If you want a good bang for the buck, go with the HP Omen 30L with liquid cooling. If you want a GREAT customized prebuilt then Falcon Northwest is a premium brand but they are really pricy.

The ASUS ROG gaming desktops look nice and they are priced right.

Aug 4, 2021

Another alternative would be to buy from a Boutique builder. If you tell us your budget, shouldn't be too hard to configure something from the likes of CyberPowerPC, NZXTs build service, or take a look through Newegg's options. Then if you have money to burn and want the highest quality, there are the fancy builders like Falcon Northwest, Maingear, DigitalStorm, etc.
Thank you for the information because I almost made the mistake of buying a DELL that would have issues w their cheap components. You learn something everyday.

Aug 4, 2021
In layman's terms, it's a Dell. Plan on replacing or adding fans in any of the models, but if it's a new Aurora, plan on throwing out the cpu cooler and purchasing a 120mm AIO at a very minimum as that's the Only cpu cooler that has a hope of working.
View: https://youtu.be/8ulhFi5N2hc

View: https://youtu.be/5N7aYtkzKJc
Much appreciated. I will look into a boutique builder. I was concerned about these companies not honoring warranties or not correcting any issues that may come up with the build.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Boutiques are iffy. A true boutique, like Main Gear or Falcon Northwest will cost you. BUT, the pc is as good as a pro can do. The wiring will be top-notch, the parts will be as good as your budget allows, service and support will be very personal and professional.

It's the wannabe boutiques like ibuypower and cyberpower that are the offset. You'll get the decent parts (mostly) , pay less for them, but the pc can be questionable. Service and support is often lacking. If you have the time, lookup Linus Tech Tips - secret shopper series of videos, it's eye opening as to basically what to expect for your $$