How to find compatible Cpu's with motherboard

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Hey I know this is a nooby question right now, but what exactly do you need to know about your motherboard to find compatible cpu's?

Solution
Normally when you see a motherboard, it's right there. When you find a motherboard, it's gonna have a name, like a MSI (Company name) A88XM (That's actually the chipset and form factor of the motherboard) E35 (The revision of it, in case the motherboard series has multiple versions with different features). It normally specifies the socket at the very end of the name, like the MSI A88XM-E35 FM2+ motherboard. You can check all of this stuff out on newegg, you'll see the company name, motherboard model, chipset, and alot of other useful information.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
You need to know the socket, chipset, and max TDP allowed. You can have a CPU with the correct socket but your chipset may require a BIOS update to use it, or the TDP of the processor may be too high. (Kind of like the 970 chipset motherboards with the AM3+ socket, the TPD of the 8xxx chip is too high)

Normally on the motherboard manufacturer's website, there's a list of compatible CPUs for the particular motherboard you're interested in, so if you're unsure, that should be the first place to look.

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

What's the easiest way to find out everything about your motherboard? Also can you give me an example of the name of a motherboard as a reference? Thanks

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks and one last question is there one straight up easy way to get the company and model number of the motherboard? Also, well two questions, what is the direct correlation with motherboards and chipsets? Thanks

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Normally when you see a motherboard, it's right there. When you find a motherboard, it's gonna have a name, like a MSI (Company name) A88XM (That's actually the chipset and form factor of the motherboard) E35 (The revision of it, in case the motherboard series has multiple versions with different features). It normally specifies the socket at the very end of the name, like the MSI A88XM-E35 FM2+ motherboard. You can check all of this stuff out on newegg, you'll see the company name, motherboard model, chipset, and alot of other useful information.

Solution

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks, but I found it off another site. http://superuser.com/questions/175213/find-out-what-the-motherboard-on-my-computer-is
The thing that was throwing me off since this isn't a custom computer is that the name of the board was so simple. Dell - Vostro 200 It's actually rather annoying correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't there be more to it than that? Btw here's my bad computer specs :p It's not supposed to be that simple correct?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DANIEL-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Vostro 200
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, 1596 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.5, 9/14/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Daniel-PC\Stanley
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 0.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 95.0 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.22 GB
Available Virtual Memory 412 MB
Page File Space 1.23 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Oh man, I am a terrible person. I read a little closer and you said how to find what motherboard YOU have. I'm sitting here thinking you didn't know the difference between the type of motherboard and the company name. I'm so sorry.

I think Yogi deserves the best solution.

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

Nah it's alright I got the info I needed either way and I don't believe I can change the best answer