How to Fix Any Computer... And Quietly Weep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well you know what to do....format and install.....NOT

Are you actually having issues? i just installed it fine....now to not use it(well, there are some rebates i use it for :)) :p

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hangfirew8[/nom]Linux Kernel is written in C, not C++.[/citation]

...yep, there's one in every crowd. LOL

Lyrick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Having never owned or even considered the need for a Mac. I do wonder how one goes about fixing an apple computing product. The Hardware seems almost proprietary and the software is as close to a perfectly closed system as you can find outside of the videogame console realm. Would someone explain the general process to me to help cure my curiosity and/or ignorance?
I’ve been a PC and *nix user for years and am just curious.

I like the how to fix Windows and Mac parts. Reformatting is often the easiest solution after all and part of the reason external drives are so common ^_^. The Linux part is untrue, at least now, but sure is funny as hell. I think it was more true a few years ago though :p

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
On a related note, Windows: Partition HDD. Install to new partition. Take salvageable files from old partition and install to new. Delete old partition. BACK UP FILES THIS TIME.

Or keep it simple and just do a parallel install.......

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]Actually, modern Windows 7 reinstalls don't lose all of your files. Even if you don't back them up (which you really should), the installer dumps all of the old files into the a folder named "Windows.old". In the end, the PC steps seem to be the most painless (unless you're a millionaire!).[/citation]

I have a friend who was a big fan of Ubuntu switching from XP (he probably still is). After a few years, he switched to Win7 some months ago.

My personal experience was, I boot Ubuntu up, couldn't get my wifi setup properly. Then I gave up. Call me dumb if you want, but I simply didn't have time for that.

Ubuntu is nice, but it is not to the point suitable for mass adoptions yet. I will wait until that time come. For some, the above picture still applies somewhat, except it is exaggerated of course.

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]kornelix[/nom]That view of Linux might have been funny about 10 years ago, but now it only shows vast ignorance eager to pollute others. I switched from Windows (XP) to Linux (Ubuntu) a few years ago, and I would never go back. After some rough spots getting used to the differences, I found it both easier to use and more reliable than Windows. I don't need the Windows games and everything else is there in abundance.[/citation]

I have a friend who was a big fan of Ubuntu switching from XP (he probably still is). After a few years, he switched to Win7 some months ago.

My personal experience was, I boot Ubuntu up, couldn't get my wifi setup properly. Then I gave up. Call me dumb if you want, but I simply didn't have time for that.

Ubuntu is nice, but it is not to the point suitable for mass adoptions yet. I will wait until that time come. For some, the above picture still applies somewhat, except it is exaggerated of course.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]I'm still using my Amiga 3000....[/citation]

Now that was a computer, loved the old amiga OS. It was way ahead of its time. Used one to run a multinode BBS back in the days and it was way faster than any pc back then!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Slide all beads back to the starting position and try again.[/citation]
Still not fixed? Disassemble the abacus and try to piece it together. Quietly weep!

G

I love how Linux fans freak out when they get a little fun poked their way, yet all the Windows/Mac users laugh and enjoy it for the JOKE that it is.

Did you honestly think he was serious when he said reformat windows/buy a new mac, or were you just ignoring that and skipping straight to Linux? Context, people, context!

(My method pre OS X)
Apple: Disable all other hardware peripherals you were not using at the time the problem occurred. Did that help?

Oh. It did? Really?

Ok. Now go turn one hardware peripheral on at a time and keep checking if things still work, until you find the offending device.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I know this is satire, but step 2 for windows is off. Any competent tech would back up everything prior to reinstall. With disc imaging in place, it's often quicker to do a reinstall of Windows (restore files/directories) than to waste time trying to fix.

pabeader

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]a-nano-moose[/nom]What if my Abacus crashes?[/citation]

1) Pick beads up off floor.
2) Reinstall onto proper guides.
3) Count by 5s

puggle man

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I would say that keeping a separate home partition on linux is pretty much
a perfect and easy safety net... as long as you don't screw that up somehow. It beats recompiling.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Well, Oatmeal does produce the best comics ever.

That said, Windows is a friggin' problem in some cases. If something happens while I'm installing my HP Printer drivers, or Adobe Reader, and if the installation fails, it will never ever work on this copy of Windows. Re-install. It's almost funny how casually I dish out this advice to people 'You just have to install the OS' and poor guys stare like I advised them a heart replacement surgery or something. Haha, Bill Gates FTW. Wait, oops.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I like how something like this brings out all the geeks with no sense of humor lol. This was funny and if you are one of the few that took this seriously I feel bad for you. I have a feeling some of the people hating on this took it seriously and re formated and are now mad lol

Status
Not open for further replies.