News How to Fix Windows 10 with a 30-Minute Repair Install

jpe1701

Honorable
I always have my current version of windows on a flash drive for this. You can also update to the new version of windows this way without using windows update. That's how I update when I'm ready to go to the newest version because my internet connection at home is horrible so I download it somewhere else.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Great guide if you can boot into Windows. But then again, if you can, there are plenty of resources and tools that can resolve these problems.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Great guide if you can boot into Windows. But then again, if you can, there are plenty of resources and tools that can resolve these problems.
not positive, but pretty sure you can do all the same steps, but using the USB key option instead of downloading ISO, and booting from the USB.

Uniblab

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
If you spend more than 30 minutes trying to fix a problem in Windows, this could save you a lot of time.

How to Fix Windows 10 with a 30-Minute Repair Install : Read more

Just a note to follow the instructions because other ways to "refresh install" may remove problematic programs and apps. Problematic programs are at times the programs you installed and want. Microsoft calls this "refresh install" and gives you choices to go back to just what comes with windows. You dont want this. You want repair install not refresh install. Just a quick heads up.

D

Deleted member 14196

A clean install takes less than 10 minutes why would I even bother with this nonsense?

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I don't think this works currently in a corporate environment while most of the users you support are working remotely from home and most of them can't troubleshoot themselves. Does this change anything on the OS that would require the device to be domain joined again? Does it remove registry settings particular to your corporate environment (e.g. VPN). Sure it might work if you're good to go with Windows Autopilot and a wipe clean and domain join can be done remotely, but what if you don't? I've seen in some cases where a spare device is couriered out and the faulty one collected the next day if it's not resolved on the day. Not ideal and costly!

D

Deleted member 14196

Because you don't want to lose all your personal data and have to reinstall all your applications? Any time you save will be lost reinstalling everything that was wiped out.
My machine is just a simple Windows host if I do any serious developments in a virtual machine so I can reset my machine with impunity and not worry about losing any data it’s all backed up and in the cloud anyway

chasrome

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
Lifesaver! Have been trying to get Windows Update to work since mid May and this is the only thing of dozens of suggestions that actually worked.

A bit tricky to use at the end though. First of all do not try to update directly using the USB or DVD. Pay attention to the last section of the instructions and install through Explorer. Then watch out for the questions (especially the one about "upgrade-Y/N)" do not do any of this either. The result, if you do not follow the instructions closely (and if you answer any of the questions 'wrong'), is you will get a new install of Win10 without your settings, programs, and apps! (and get to start over)

Reactions: Sushi Desires

Sushi Desires

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
If you spend more than 30 minutes trying to fix a problem in Windows, this could save you a lot of time.

How to Fix Windows 10 with a 30-Minute Repair Install : Read more

Excellent post, very helpful and seems to have solved my problem. After several weeks of farting around chasing down drivers and still having hard crashes, I wish I would have just deployed this fix at the beginning. The 30 minute repair philosophy is a cogent and productive one, my thanks to Ed for suggesting it.

Sushi Desires

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Unfortunately, when I run the setup from the iso file, the option to keep my data and apps is greyed out :(
What can cause this and how can I override it?

According to the guide at tenforums, you seem to need to meet several conditions to have the option to keep your stuff:
You will keep all apps, programs and personal data, just as when you upgrade, as an in-place upgrade repair uses the same basic mechanism as when you upgrade.
  • You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
  • You will need at least around 8.87 GB + what Windows is currently using of free space available on the Windows drive.
  • The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same edition and same or newer build as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
  • The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same base language (aka: system default language) as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
  • If you have a 32-bit Windows 10, then you must use a 32-bit ISO or USB.
  • If you have a 64-bit Windows 10, then you must use a 64-bit ISO or USB.

Nov 28, 2021
Darn, all these online help tutorials are great, it all works for me up until the repair has started, then the BSOD appears, endless cycle so far.

Do I have to go into safe mode or something?

D

Deleted member 14196

30 minute install it only takes me eight minutes to install it clean which I would rather do

Colif

Win 11 Master
Darn, all these online help tutorials are great, it all works for me up until the repair has started, then the BSOD appears, endless cycle so far.

Do I have to go into safe mode or something?
A repair install isn't going to fix a BSOD. You need to work out what cause of BSOD is.
clean install may fix BSOD as most are caused by driver errors, and you unlucky if you get same drivers twice.

30 minute install it only takes me eight minutes to install it clean which I would rather do
depends on if they have backups and how many applications are installed and how many things you would have to download to get back to where you were before. How long it takes you isn't the same as others. Not everyone is organised like you are. I would much prefer to try this method than to try to rebuild my mums install from scratch.

also, 30 minutes may also be a hdd, not a nvme.

D

Deleted member 14196

True, I only install a very few things like my VPN connector and sublime text and sublime merge and that’s it oh and a few office apps

now I have Macrium paid version. So I really never have to install windows again and configure it