How to format hard drive in windows with an OS already installed

squid917

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Hello everyone! I recently installed Windows 10 on a new SSD, however I want to use my HDD as a secondary drive for games. I made the mistake of not formatting the HDD during the win 10 install process, all I did was install windows 10 on the SSD. I did not have the HDD plugged in at all actually, because I didn't know if the drive would conflict since it still has windows 7 on it. How do I format the drive for storage, without having to reinstall windows? Thanks!

Solution
You did the right thing by not having the old HDD connected when you installed Windows 10.

With Windows 10 having been installed you can reconnect your HDD. Windows will boot from the SSD by default.

The HDD will be assigned a different drive letter like D: or E:, with C: being your Windows install on your SSD.

If you left click on the HDD once, then right click once, you will be able to select "Format" from the context menu that is displayed. As long as you don't do this on your Windows C: drive you'll be fine.

Tick Quick Format if it is not already ticked and click Start. You will be warned that formatting the drive will lose all data (but only on that drive, it won't affect your Windows drive). Click OK.

Tanyac

Reputable
You did the right thing by not having the old HDD connected when you installed Windows 10.

With Windows 10 having been installed you can reconnect your HDD. Windows will boot from the SSD by default.

The HDD will be assigned a different drive letter like D: or E:, with C: being your Windows install on your SSD.

If you left click on the HDD once, then right click once, you will be able to select "Format" from the context menu that is displayed. As long as you don't do this on your Windows C: drive you'll be fine.

Tick Quick Format if it is not already ticked and click Start. You will be warned that formatting the drive will lose all data (but only on that drive, it won't affect your Windows drive). Click OK.

Solution