[SOLVED] How to format new NVME M.2 SSD ?

erix09

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018
This is my first time using pci storage. I want to reinstall Windows on a new NVME drive (980 Pro) but I want to make sure it's formated for when I install Windows. Can I use an external enclosure for such drives to format it before installation on new mobo?

Solution
The new board is the ROG z-690A D4. Installing with the new 12700k.
No pre-formatting needed.

Boot up from your Win 10 USB and install.

USAFRet

Titan
This is my first time using pci storage. I want to reinstall Windows on a new NVME drive (980 Pro) but I want to make sure it's formated for when I install Windows. Can I use an external enclosure for such drives to format it before installation on new mobo?
What motherboard is this on?

You don't need to format it prior to the OS install.
The WIn 10 installation does its own formatting.

USAFRet

Titan
The new board is the ROG z-690A D4. Installing with the new 12700k.

Solution

erix09

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018

That is a very useful tutorial. One q. If I have my Win 10 license connected to my Microsoft account and a PIN set, and I use that account to authenticate my new install, will I have to reset my PIN?

USAFRet

Titan
Got it. I haven't started the upgrade yet (waiting on a couple components) but I am reading some reviews of my new board which indicate driver updates for the LAN driver are required before the mobo is installed. I know where to find these, but I never recall installing drivers when before installing Windows on a new board. Does the BIOS have a driver update utility, where I can then point to the files on a usb? (Asus)
You can't install or update the LAN drivers until the thing is built, and the OS is installed.