How to format SSD to NTFS for Secondary drive - Windows 7

Mike Fisher 26

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Hi, I've just got a new Samsung 256gb SSD as an additional drive to my existing SSD and I'm finding it impossible to get it formatted to NTFS. I can see it under the Disk Management but when I try and format it only gives me various UDF formats, I'm sure I'm being stupid although I remember first SSD drive was a pain to setup as well. Any help much appreciated.

I'm on Windows 7

Solution
Hey there, Mike.

Would you please post a screenshot of what you see in Disk Management about the SSD (you can use imgur.com to upload the image)?
I'd also recommend that you try the drive with a different SATA port and cables, to see if the same thing happens.
You can take a look at this tutorial: How to change the format type (file system) of a hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows (8, 7, Vista, and XP).
Don't forget that you should initialize the SSD first if you haven't done that already: How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Mike.

Would you please post a screenshot of what you see in Disk Management about the SSD (you can use imgur.com to upload the image)?
I'd also recommend that you try the drive with a different SATA port and cables, to see if the same thing happens.
You can take a look at this tutorial: How to change the format type (file system) of a hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows (8, 7, Vista, and XP).
Don't forget that you should initialize the SSD first if you haven't done that already: How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution