How to fransfer files from dvd disc to hd faster

crazychin0

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi. I have a lot of ISO files on approximately 50 dvd discs. I am trying to copy them to an external hard drive with 2.0 Ian connection. However, it is so slow. I am using teracopy and I am getting like 1MB/sec transfer speed. Is there another way to copy these files faster? Thank you in advance for any replies.

1) What is "2.0 Ian?"

2) The experiments that I would try are to copy from DVD to internal drive and check the transfer rate on that, then from internal drive to external drive and check the transfer rate on that. At least identify which is the slow link. I'd even try these without whatever teracopy is, to see if it is imposing an overhead.

Let us know what results you see.

A side story, in response to the spell check.

I once worked for a man who was a wizard in a Unix environment but had almost no Windows experience. One of the components in our system was the Historical Server Interface, or HSI. I found him going slightly nuts one day, trying to type a document in Microsoft Word. Every time he typed "HSI," it came out "HIS." He wasn't aware of the automatic spell-checking.

crazychin0

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi. That is funny, yes spell check can work against you sometimes. Lol. Anyway, I found out the problem. It is definitely my laptop computer. Its an old Sony vaio pcg-v505ax that I bought like a long time ago. But I tried using my daughter's hp netbook and im getting speeds up to 8 MB/sec (much better than 1MB/sec!!!). I was really pulling my hair out transferring the data from dvd discs to an external hard drive. I was literally taking 2 hours each one. I was copying the files after work and only able to do only between 1 and 2 a day. I have about 100 dvd's, and it would have taken like a month or two at that rate. I just did 5 today in about an hour today. Now it should take me like a week. So I guess I need to buy a new laptop computer. Any recomendations on a fast one? Lol. Again, thank you for your reply.

That depends on what you do with it. You can drop a couple of thousand on a laptop. On the other hand, if you rea just doing Web surfing and Microsoft Office, just about anything sold these days would be good enough. In that case, I would pay more attention to battery life, weight, and maybe USB 3.0 ports.

Look at CNET.com or, if it doesn't matter much to you, check out the Tom's deals-of-the-day articles, like this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Deals-Laptop-Plasma-TV-ClickFree-LogicBuy,14730.html .

crazychin0

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi, you are absolutely right. I should get a desktop. I just love the portability. Not sure which I'll get, it depends what I have leftover after I pay off all my credit card bills with my taxes. Lol.

Check the laptop forums here, there are also buyers guides for desktops. There must be 20 posts a day asking the same "what laptop should I get" question. Just read what the suggestions are there, check out some online in-depth reviews for the ones listed, and pick :)