How to get audio out of Dell U2410?

jdburton

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue trying to get audio from two gaming consoles (360 and PS2) that are connected to my U2410 monitor to my speakers. I have my 360 connected to the display via HDMI, and the display is connected to my PC via USB, and my speakers are connected to my PC. I'm getting video from my 360, but no audio. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, my PS2 is connected to my display via component cables, but there are no inputs for the audio cables. Would it be possible to simply run an optical audio cable from my PS2 to my pc, while having video going to the monitor?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't think the U2410 will pass the audio to the computer through the USB cable - you'll probably need to use one of the audio out connectors. Most monitors with USB ports neglect the opportunity to act as devices on the USB hubs, so the only difference between such ports and those on separate USB hubs is the convenience of having them physically part of the monitor.

I don't think a PS2 has an optical audio out, but if you meant PS3, then as long as your computer takes optical audio input, connecting an optical audio cable like you describe should work, and you'd set the PS3 to output audio that way. However, if the computer's optical audio port is an output, that probably wouldn't work.