How to get HDMI to work properly? (Sapphire Radeon 4870 + BenQ G2420HD)

ngom52

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Hi, I've got a BenQ G2420HD monitor which supports HDMI and a sapphire Radeon 4870 graphics card which claims to support HDMI although only via an adapter. I'm also running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit if that helps.
So far I can't seem to make the HDMI connection work properly; the image would not fill out all the screen space, I can only see my wallpaper and can't access the icons on my desktop.
I'd totally appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
all u had to do is to google, but there is no reason for u to use hdmi over dvi cauz the video transfer is exactly the same when 4870 doesnt support sound.

leon2006

Distinguished
rescawen....
Your statement is not correct. Audio is available on ATI 4870 card even on 3870 through HDMI.... You should make sure that you place correct information on your post.

If you don't know the information don't even bother to reply or recommend GOOGLE for the sake of posting something. You are wasting people's time.

Have you work on ATI 4870 before and made it work? If not then you are not in the position to make any recommendation since YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED ON THE SUBJECT.

ngom52:

ATI 4870 HDMI works and its audio works through HDMI. If your monitor support HDMI is the preferred method of video/audio interface using SINGLE HDMI CABLE.

BASIC STEP TO MAKE HDMI-VIDEO/AUDIO WORK:

1) Make sure you have a clean driver installation. If you have an old driver you use 3rd party driver cleaner to remove it. The install the latest available driver from ATI.

2) For video to work adjustments are done through the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER(ccc). You can righ click your mouse to activate it.

3) Options on CCC
3.1- Desktop & Display: Provides you the information on your display.
3.2- Desktop Properties: PROPERTIES provide the settings on your display.
Find the settings that will match the capability of your display
3.3 DISPLAY OPTIONS: It defines the detection method of the video card use for the monitor.

There are other features that you can deal with once you get the primary requirement working.

The problem that you are describing is what is commonly known as VIDEO SCALING. The ATI 4870 creates a display beyong your screen size. You have to adjust it to fit your screen using the SCALING slide-bar. There is MONITOR SCALING ADJUSTMENT on CCC to enable you to adjust the image to fit your sreen. That will enable you to see the icons windows-start bar.

AUDIO:

You can get the the audio to work on HDMI through the AUDIO section of Control Panel. You have to select ATI HDMI OUTPUT as your default playback source for it to work.

Hope this helps you ngom52

ngom52

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
ignore that last post, I just found out how to scale the monitor........
now the display occupies the whole screen space but it's pretty blurry, how do I fix this?

ngom52

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
now ignore the 2 last posts, I turned off the overscan option on my monitor controls and the picture's now crystal clear!

santitech203

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Hey leon2006, I have noticed that problem has been coming up consistently on all ATI card with HDMI. I dont know if you have noticed but the scaling option is no longer available on the 9.8 and 9.9 catalyst versions or am I over looking it. Most of the time to fix that I have had people revert to 9.5 or 9.6 set the scaling there and then update to 9.9 and that has seemed to work for the most part ...any input on that?

Millsie

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Exactly what I've noticed actually... Since I've been pissing around looking for it lately.

Its like they have taken it out? But maybe I'm just a clown.. But I can't find it.

Thanks.. (Any help will be appreciated)

(Currently thinking about the screen burn)

leon2006

Distinguished
I'm using 9.10 and scaling option is available... The steps to get there are as follows:

1) Activate CCC
2) There is a full-down menu at the left top labelled "Graphics" with Down Arrow immediate on its right of the label.
3) There are multiple options..Select "Desktop & Displays"
4) There are 2 areas on the CCC(Desktop & Displays). The main or bigger section will display the active display/s (1 or 2) with * assigned to the primary display.

On the lower section is smaller but similar representation of the active display. On the Left lower section there is a notation "Please select display"
Select the display that you wish to adjust with the mouse. Right Click the mouse and 3 opiotns will come out..(Disable, COnfigure, Identify Display)... Select configure

On Configure Options ....One of the TABS is "Scaling Options". This is the scaling adjustment for HDTV...

Hope this helps