[SOLVED] How to get lower CPU temp?

Hakoda

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Hi i am seeing this that idle CPU is 50-60 © i want to make it to drop down to 25 or 30 while idle and gaming 30-40 if possible even lower but i refuse to use liquid metal. I use NT-H1 Thermal paste. So any advice on temp?

Solution
It's physically impossible to cool a cpu to ambient temp or below, by mechanical means. An aio or aircooler uses a fan blowing air through fins, that's a mechanical process. You'd need a chemical process like peltier or LN2 or phase-change to get below ambient.

So it's all dependent on ambient temps, airflow, cooler efficiency, fan curves, loads, and power consumption exactly what temps you'll get.

Most cpus at idle see @ 6-10°C above ambient because fans are also idle, airflow is at its lowest point etc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, not really. If you don't like liquid metal, about the only other option would be direct die. Get rid of the heatspreader.

25-30 is practically impossible, even with heavy duty water cooling. MIGHT see that on a GPU at idle with a ludicrously oversized radiator. But the dies on CPUs are too small to get that level of effective cooling.

30-40 under a gaming load, completely unrealistic. Even an underclocked, undervolted CPU is going to output enough to keep itself at 50C when under a load.

My advice, get the biggest cooler you can afford and call it a day.

Reactions: Hakoda
It's hard to advise what to do here without knowing:
  • What kind of CPU you have
  • What case you're using
  • What the average ambient temperature is
I mean, I can say that I've managed to hit around 30C idling and maybe mid 40s when playing a game and on an air cooler with regular paste, but this is on a 65W TDP CPU under the Power Saver plan, a case with plenty of airflow, and the room was also around 20C. If you want the CPU to go full ham, well, you're going to have to invest in some insanely beefy cooling. Like, hook up an open loop water cooler using pool water outside kind of insane. Or go with a phase change cooler which isn't a cheap option or one for the faint of heart either.

Apr 20, 2021
I have a Intel i7-6700k that started idling around the same temps, bought a new CPU cooler that didn't help. Fixed it by going into my bios and disabling turbo mode and multicore boost. I don't know if it would be the same stuff on your end but you could try looking for it.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Intel i7-6700k that started idling around the same temps, bought a new CPU cooler that didn't help. Fixed it by going into my bios and disabling turbo mode and multicore boost. I don't know if it would be the same stuff on your end but you could try looking for it.
Turning off the performance enhancing things usually does make things run 'cooler'.
Also, slower.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Strongest option is probably to do:
-280/360mm hybrid(mounted at the front) on the cpu, so it has direct access to the room air.
-tweak the Vcore with negative offsets or use adaptive mode - do not use fixed voltage, that's actually slightly worse than the other two if you're really hung up on idle thermals.
-balanced/power saving power plan.

Even with that, you still won't see cpu thermals as low as what you're asking... not without crippling the heck out of the cpu's performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Disable MCE. That doesn't help performance in the slightest, just locks all the cores at high turbo whether they are used or not. That's a huge waste of power for no real gains.

Works OK on a weaker cpu, but on high core cpus like the i7 and i9 series, it sucks.

It's like a fake 'OC', the cpu never really gets to idle down, it's stuck at high turbo speeds, so you will get high temps when doing absolutely nothing.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
unless your hitting thermal limits, what is the real goal of this?

I suggest making sure you got thermal paste that isn't 20 years old on it. Making sure you have a good AIR cooler, and good case fans. You should never hit your thermal limits, as long as you keep the AC on.

happy computer time!

Hakoda

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
  • What case you're using
I mean, I can say that I've managed to hit around 30C idling and maybe mid 40s when playing a game and on an air cooler with regular paste, but this is on a 65W TDP CPU under the Power Saver plan, a case with plenty of airflow, and the room was also around 20C. If you want the CPU to go full ham, well, you're going to have to invest in some insanely beefy cooling. Like, hook up an open loop water cooler using pool water outside kind of insane. Or go with a phase change cooler which isn't a cheap option or one for the faint of heart either.
[/
  • What case you're using
1)CPU - AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
2)Motherboard - MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard
3)Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4333 Memory
4)Storage - Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive. 5)Storage - Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 6)Storage - Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive. 7)Case - Cooler Master Stryker SE ATX Full Tower Case 8)Power Supply - Corsair - RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 9)Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter.
10)Monitor - MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor.
11)GPU - PowerColor Red Devil Radeon Rx 5700 Xt

Hakoda

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I did find the button on CPU Cooler there was L/H power mode so i turned it on High was on Low. And my temp from idle 50-60 went down to 30-45 and while gaming the temp went up to 50-60 so i did kinda solve my problem but will look in to all your advices. TNX 🙃.

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
I have been using Segotep frozen tower t5 rgb for a while now on an i3 10100 and a pretty decent airflow powercase jx188-2 and I've been getting insane temps. About 3 degrees over ambient at idle. With about 20 to 25 ambient I always idle at below 30. During csgo gameplay I barely get to 40 degrees and in gta 5 I get 45 max. I'd say those are insane temps especially with air cooler so I don't know how low you can actually go without insane cooling solutions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's physically impossible to cool a cpu to ambient temp or below, by mechanical means. An aio or aircooler uses a fan blowing air through fins, that's a mechanical process. You'd need a chemical process like peltier or LN2 or phase-change to get below ambient.

So it's all dependent on ambient temps, airflow, cooler efficiency, fan curves, loads, and power consumption exactly what temps you'll get.

Most cpus at idle see @ 6-10°C above ambient because fans are also idle, airflow is at its lowest point etc.

Solution