Question How to get rid of black bars on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2020
I am trying to use duel monitors. My laptop is a 19" HP and I have an asus PG348 and I can not figure out how to get rid of the black bars on the each side of the asus.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
So I clicked extend the desktop

The asus is 1920

The asus is 1920x1080
The HP is 1600x900

(im just thinking out loud)
The HP laptop is 1600 by 900 for a 16:9 aspect ratio. The ASUS monitor is 1920 x 1080p which is also 16 x 9 aspect ratio. The black bars are on the sides of the ASUS monitor, so its creating its own 4:3 aspect ratio.

Do you want each monitor to have the same thing on it, or do you want the monitors to have something different on them?

Also, are you running on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or Windows 10, or something else?

Apr 20, 2020
(im just thinking out loud)
The HP laptop is 1600 by 900 for a 16:9 aspect ratio. The ASUS monitor is 1920 x 1080p which is also 16 x 9 aspect ratio. The black bars are on the sides of the ASUS monitor, so its creating its own 4:3 aspect ratio.

Do you want each monitor to have the same thing on it, or do you want the monitors to have something different on them?

Also, are you running on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or Windows 10, or something else?
I'd like them to have different things on them

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

Then it could be a video card driver issue. Go into the search bar and type in Device Manager. In device manager, click the drop down arrow on display adapters. Right click the NVIDIA or AMD or INTEL device and click on Update Driver. It will search for any new drivers. If there is a new driver, it will download it. I do have 1 more trick up my sleeve, but I want to know if this will work first.

Apr 20, 2020
Then it could be a video card driver issue. Go into the search bar and type in Device Manager. In device manager, click the drop down arrow on display adapters. Right click the NVIDIA or AMD or INTEL device and click on Update Driver. It will search for any new drivers. If there is a new driver, it will download it. I do have 1 more trick up my sleeve, but I want to know if this will work first.
So I installed the new drivers and it didn't do anything.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
So I installed the new drivers and it didn't do anything.
You need to restart the PC after you install drivers.

If that doesnt work, switch the ASUS monitor to the 1600 by 900 resolution. May seem stupid but it may work. If that does not work, switch the resolution back to 1920 x 1080p and switch the refresh rate to something between 50 and 60 hertz instead of 60 hertz on the ASUS monitor. If that does not work, do both, switch the resolution to 1600 x 900 AND switch the refresh rate to something between 55 hertz and 60 hertz.

If none of that works, switch the resolution to anything that gets rid of the black bars, making sure the refresh rate is at 60 hertz. If nothing works, switch the refresh rate to something between 55 hertz and 60 hertz and try all of the resolutions again.

This may all take a little bit so im not expecting a reply within 5 minutes.

Apr 20, 2020
You need to restart the PC after you install drivers.

If that doesnt work, switch the ASUS monitor to the 1600 by 900 resolution. May seem stupid but it may work. If that does not work, switch the resolution back to 1920 x 1080p and switch the refresh rate to something between 50 and 60 hertz instead of 60 hertz on the ASUS monitor. If that does not work, do both, switch the resolution to 1600 x 900 AND switch the refresh rate to something between 55 hertz and 60 hertz.

If none of that works, switch the resolution to anything that gets rid of the black bars, making sure the refresh rate is at 60 hertz. If nothing works, switch the refresh rate to something between 55 hertz and 60 hertz and try all of the resolutions again.

This may all take a little bit so im not expecting a reply within 5 minutes.
So I cha fed the refresh rate and then went through every resolution setting and it only made the black bars bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.