How to Get Windows 10 for Free (or Under $30)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft can and do disable VL keys. We have a VL for Office and after about 500 activation or so the key becomes unusable and we are given a new key. It is part of the VL agreement and if you purchase a key that happens to be VL and it gets deactivated and your OS is no longer legal the EU cannot do anything about it since the sale of the VL key is not legal in the first place as it is an agreement between Microsoft and the company for use by said company only.

If the EU wants to go after Microsoft they can but this one they would lose. Microsoft is not stopping an individual from transferring or selling their license they own, but rather an individual from selling a license that a company owns. The EU doesn't care about companies.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Really? IMMEDIATELY after jpishgar noted how everyone was keeping this on topic, someone created frank222k as a new account JUST to do this little bit of trolling?

*headdesk*

My apologies to anybody I offended or who felt criticized by my (And others) expression of the opinion that using these gray sites to obtain keys is risky and somewhat unsavory. Certainly it was not meant to reflect the opinion of community staff or any other official views that might contradict with the propriety of editorial. It was only my opinion and should be taken as such. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2018
Just purchased a windows 10 Pro key from destination PC for my new HP 15.6" notebook i5-8250U, 8GB+16GB Optane Memory, 1TB 5400HDD which came stock with Windows 10 Home Edition...cost for the windows 10 Pro key from PC Destination was $54.99 and it activated immediately on my windows 10 home edition...wind up saving at least $45 buying from Microsoft :)

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well i aint joking i got a key from bonnanza have changed my motherboard twice with no issues as well as processor and memory no issues at all also i get funny about the stability and security of my pc so i have reinstalled windows more then 20 times in the past few years at the very least. i know sounds a bit ridicoulus but have had alot of hardware changes since the H170 i think it was. anyways was very impressed no issues to date may of called microsoft once cant rember but they just refreshed my key same key but refreshed number of installs or whatever. but since i added it to a msn account i sign in to msn hadnt had to call them in over 10installs.... had this key i think 4years cant rember to be exact got it on bonanza for 15$ windows 10 pro x64. great deal wqas skeptical at first so i think i purchased through paypal or a prepaid debit cant rember to be exact. anyways would highly reccommend, have had more issues with oems i bought for 150$ on past windows OS windows 8 windows 7 ect vs this that i got for 15$ would buy again if a new edition ever comes out. btw i always download though microsoft.com all u purchase on bannanza is the key but u get your actoual windows from microsoft

as to others complaints abpout windows 10 in general yea i dont care much for windows 10 wish they made a slimmed down version of it without all the background apps like a windows 10 classic or somthin lol.

oh and darkbreeze love the earth/tomshardware image lol bet publishers on toms cringes when they see all the typoes in my writtings. i type really fast and lot of times dont correct spelling errors

If you or others wish to do so I have no issue. Thats the risk people are willing to take.

Just to give an example back with XP there was a key called the Corporate Edition key. It was Pro but it was a corporate key that would just activate no matter how many installs were done. It worked great for a long time. However eventually Microsoft killed it so anyone who used it became invalid.

What a lot of people were against is a major and well know publication promoting, in a way, sites that have been mixed up in plenty of controversy and not so legal acquisition of keys for games and operation systems. Its just not a normal or good practice

USAFRet

Titan

Seeing as Windows 10 did not go on sale until July 2015...and this is now only 2018...

These sites often fence keys from theft. If you're supporting them, you're enabling thieves, and that's about the lowest thing you can do.

Enablers are little better than those they enable, and removed from guilt only by semantics.

Jan 1, 2019
The article did not point out that you can't use an OEM key to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Professional without setting all your software back up - you need to reinstall the OS from scratch.

Dec 30, 2018
After your recommendation of Kinguin, I purchased my license for 10 Pro, and of course it turned out to be already used. They wanted me to jump through so many hoops to get a refund, I just gave up. Can't believe you would recommend an operation like that.

magnus909

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Running with a non-activated Windows with a watermark... on my third monitor.
It doesn't bother me at all!
Wonder if Microsoft didn't think about us multiple monitor users?

Reactions: derekullo

spock65

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
There is one other way to get a reduction in price: If you are/were a student at a recognized university or community College. You'll have to go to Microsoft's website to apply for it--and to make sure your school is recognized. You can get BOTH Home and Pro through this way, and you'll save quite a bit of money. Oh, to PROVE you've been in a class(es), you have to provide a legitimate school email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS