News How to Get Windows 10's File Explorer in Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
I thought one of the major complaints about Windows 10 was its lackluster File Explorer... is it worse in Windows 11? And yeah... the Windows Registry?... wow, just wow. I guess some things never change. Do you need to install 3rd-party audio drivers too? I'm just glad I'm at a point now where I don't 'need' Windows for anything other than PC gaming.

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
I have used Linux on my home PCs for a few years and the ONLY thing I miss from Windows is File Explorer. None of the Linux file managers "just do" everything . When I saw a screen print of the File Explorer in Windows 11 I thought out loud " on my God, they have dumbed down Windows File Explorer so it looks exactly like my Linux one". It would seem that Redmond is following it's standard playbook of if it is not broken why don't we see if we can "F" with it and piss-off all the users again...

Reactions: salgado18
Fortunately in the near future someone will at first create a .reg file which will be distributed freely and can just be merged into our registries. Then next we'll have this covered in the various tweaker utility programs that will be released the same day as the final Win 11. So its really no big deal (says the guy who uses the Restore Photo Viewer.reg file and a tweaker program).

USAFRet

Titan
Fortunately in the near future someone will at first create a .reg file which will be distributed freely and can just be merged into our registries. Then next we'll have this covered in the various tweaker utility programs that will be released the same day as the final Win 11. So its really no big deal (says the guy who uses the Restore Photo Viewer.reg file and a tweaker program).
And also, in the near future, someone else will create a .reg which will be freely distributed and can just be merged into our registries.
It will be labeled as the fix/enabler for Win 11.
It will do exactly what you said and hope.
It will ALSO include a whole lot of other things you really really do not want.

And if you think that won't happen, I have a couple of bridges to sell you.

Jul 4, 2021
It is definitely not necessary to edit the registry.

When running Window 11, you can get the Windows 10 ribbon by simply unchecking a box in the "View" menu of "Folder Options". Here's what you do:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and select the "View" menu (File, Home, Share View, etc.)....pick "View";
  2. Select "Options";
  3. Select "View" again from the three tabs available in "Folder Optinon" (i.e., from General, View and Search). Select "View".
  4. Scroll down the list of items and look for "Launch folder windows in a separate process":
  5. MAKE SURE THE BOX IS CHECKED, and then click on "Apply" and then click on "OK" and close Windows File Explorer.
  6. Re-launch (or open) File Explorer again and voila' you will have your old Windows 10 ribbon in Windows 11.

If you want to switch back to the abbreviated Windows 11 icons instead of the Windows 10 ribbon, just reverse the process and uncheck the "Launch folder windows in a separate process box" so that it is unchecked.

Easy peasy. No need to edit the registry.

BTW, this isn't something I came up with. I saw it somewhere else two days ago, but now I cannot recall where I found it. Anyway, someone else deserves credit for finding this one....I'm just passing it along. Have fun.

Reactions: Terminusaquo
And yeah... the Windows Registry?... wow, just wow. I guess some things never change. Do you need to install 3rd-party audio drivers too? I'm just glad I'm at a point now where I don't 'need' Windows for anything other than PC gaming.
So, what do you use? Linux, where you need to search for some obscure console command or manually edit config files to accomplish similar things? Or other operating systems, where you might not even get the option to revert changes to the interface?

And in this case, as has been pointed out, there's apparently an option right in the settings to revert to the old style, so no registry editing was even required. And of course, Windows 11 isn't even releasing until later in the year, with the current, feature-incomplete pre-release only available for beta-testing, so it can't be considered a finished product at this stage.

Honestly though, the Ribbon UI was a mess, and a waste of screen real-estate, full of clutter that most would rarely use, or that could be accessed just as easily through the right-click menu or keyboard shortcuts. I sometimes use the back, forward and up directory buttons, and those are still there. Though there's a lot of unnecessary whitespace around the icons above the address bar, so I'd be more interested in getting rid of those entirely, and just having the address bar containing several buttons, and advanced functionality reserved for the right-click menu or a drop-down list. And of course, setting the right-click menu to default to the classic style, since the new one lacks a lot of functionality without having to click the "more options" entry first.

Oct 8, 2021
This is called "It's not yet a finished release!"
It Works Awesome!!!!! I am Retired USAF/Computer Geek and I have been testing all the Windows 11 Betas this was the one thing about Windows 11 that irked me. Well this really works! Here is the Reg Key File!!!
It is definitely not necessary to edit the registry.

When running Window 11, you can get the Windows 10 ribbon by simply unchecking a box in the "View" menu of "Folder Options". Here's what you do:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and select the "View" menu (File, Home, Share View, etc.)....pick "View";
  2. Select "Options";
  3. Select "View" again from the three tabs available in "Folder Optinon" (i.e., from General, View and Search). Select "View".
  4. Scroll down the list of items and look for "Launch folder windows in a separate process":
  5. MAKE SURE THE BOX IS CHECKED, and then click on "Apply" and then click on "OK" and close Windows File Explorer.
  6. Re-launch (or open) File Explorer again and voila' you will have your old Windows 10 ribbon in Windows 11.
If you want to switch back to the abbreviated Windows 11 icons instead of the Windows 10 ribbon, just reverse the process and uncheck the "Launch folder windows in a separate process box" so that it is unchecked.

Easy peasy. No need to edit the registry.

BTW, this isn't something I came up with. I saw it somewhere else two days ago, but now I cannot recall where I found it. Anyway, someone else deserves credit for finding this one....I'm just passing it along. Have fun.
Nope Tried your Fix Did Not Work. Toms Fix Works!!!! I Exported the Registry Key for this alone But no Idea how to Post it someone help!

Status
Not open for further replies.