Schlect

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
When i first set up my computer I was running it on Wireless with Wi-Fi go! from ASUS. I went to the store and bought and Ethernet cable and then plugged it in to my computer. Once I did this i went to my adapter settings and set priority of LAN of WiFi. I figured that would be that but now on my task bar ( Windows 7 ) it is still showing the 5 bars of internet connectivity, does this mean that my computer is using WiFi? IF so is there anyway to make sure that my computer is using LAN instead? Or does the WiFi somehow have a better connection than LAN and windows 7 knows this so it is automatically using Wireless?

Solution
No. if you set the priority to LAN, it continues to be your primary connection. That icon is simply showing you the...

RealBeast

Titan
Usually a wired connection takes priority but you still have the wireless adapter active. If you don't use the wireless, just go into the network control panel, adapter settings, and disable the wireless adapter. You can also set the adapter connection priority:

Go into the network control panel, click on change adapter settings, hit the ALT key, select advanced, and then advanced settings, on the connections you can move them up and down in priority with the arrows to the right of the box.

Schlect

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

When i first set up my computer I was running it on Wireless with Wi-Fi go! from ASUS. I went to the store and bought and Ethernet cable and then plugged it in to my computer. Once I did this i went to my adapter settings and set priority of LAN of WiFi. I figured that would be that but now on my task bar ( Windows 7 ) it is still showing the 5 bars of internet connectivity, does this mean that my computer is using WiFi? IF so is there anyway to make sure that my computer is using LAN instead? Or does the WiFi somehow have a better connection than LAN and windows 7 knows this so it is automatically using Wireless?

RealBeast

Titan
No. if you set the priority to LAN, it continues to be your primary connection. That icon is simply showing you the strength of the network connection that it would use if it were higher priority than the LAN card. It is worth checking though to insure that setting remains. Even if your computer is not using the wireless connection for data, the adapter is still active unless you disable the wireless adapter in the computer, you can go under network adapters and just disable it so that it can be quickly enabled.

Your Ethernet speed will pretty much always be better than wireless speeds, and is more reliable as the Ethernet is far less susceptible to interference.

Solution