How to give more space to C:

Flaif64

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I want to give some (or most) of the data i have in my E partition to C, because that is where everything wants to go. (Yes I changed the settings to save to E but it keeps on doing it :/) Iam using windows 10. I know how to shrinl E. But I the option to give more space on C is non clickable. Help?

Solution
If E: is empty, then delete it.
Then there will be no problems extending C: .

Saying it again - you can extend a partition only if there is free "unallocated" space directly after it.
If you shrink E:, you create free space after E:
(it is not dirtectly after C: ).
Click Start button > right click Documents (folder in start menu) > click Properties > Location tab > is the location route something like: E:\Users\your account name\Documents ?... Also check in the Registry: Start > search for Regedit and press Enter > and see in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell folders and User Shell Folders" The data in "Personal" (REG_SZ) value should point to E:\Users\your account name\Documents

These settings should save your personal documents to drive E:\... (the same for Music, Pictures, etc.), if it's not saving to drive E: scan your computer for virus and malware and check again.

If you have a single physical drive split into multiple partitions.

As an example from C: to E: and each partition is of a set size.

And there is no physical free space left on the single drive split into partitions.

You must first shrink the size of a partition.

For example say you had a D: partition on the single drive and it was 25Gb in size and there was free space left on it of 10Gb.

You would shrink the D: drive by either 10Gb or less say 9Gb.

Once you have done this.

You can then click on the C: drive and expand or add the 9Gb or 10Gb of space to the C: drive.

You must if the single drive is partitioned multiple times say four giving you a Drive C: D: E: and F:
shrink one of the other partitions down in size so the free space is not associated, allocated to another Drive volume label, or drive letter.

Then you can increase the Drive size, or capacity of the C: partition.
By adding or setting the drive size plus the 10Gb to it you have freed up, from another partition on the single drive.

Each Partition can be shrunk if there is free space on it.
Just total up how much you shrank each partition as an example.

Then as said add the total to the C: drive, partition.

To try and enable the grayed/unclickable option, deleting Temp files may help if they haven't been removed in a while... go to Start > search and type "%temp%" (no quotes) and press Enter.. this will lead you to the temp files folder so you can delete the files contained there. Also type; "Temp" to go to the Windows > Temp files and delete the files there. If this doesn't free up enough drive C: space, install CCleaner and see if it improves on the manual removel of excess files... and check again the partition resize option.

To take screenshots without a third party program, just tap the Print Screen key > open a mspaint file > paste the image info on paperclip memory > and remove excess parts from the image, save the file in .jpg or .png and upload it to: http://postimage.org, http://imgur.com/, http://tinypic.com/, and paste the image link on your next answer, and to paste the image itself, add bbcode to the link... example;
Code:
[img]link[/img]

Flaif64

Commendable
May 15, 2016
m804kn.jpg
<------- Here is a screen shot (Assuming I did it right)

That suggestion was just to see if the resize option can be usable... Besides everyone needa to remove temp files because temp files increases over time and can take up gigs of disk space. Windows creates them all the time and does not delete them when it should... that in time can make CPUs slow down and become less efficient.

1. First shrink disk E: as much as you can (at least half). How full is it btw? Can't see that in picture.
2. Then create partition in freed up space assign any free drive letter (let's assume it's letter K: ).
3. Copy data from E: to new partition K:.
4. When everything is copied over, delete partition E:
5. Change partition K: letter to E:
6. Extend partition C:
Done.

You can do all that with 3rd party partition management software also.
But operations like move of a partition are risky. You can loose data if electrical power gets interrupted.

Flaif64

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Thank you SkyNetRising! I have a few questions first:

When I end up deleting E will the last memory it has left be transfered to K? or should I just leave it, like 1 gig? It is 270 gigs, (out of 500)

Would the 3rd party software make it easier, or not?

How big should I make K? or will K be assimilated my C? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm pretty new to this XD

When you free disk space on drive E, it should integrate to the last 1GB unallocated partition... next create a partition with letter K on that unallocated disk space, next move your files there from drive E, after partition E is emptied, delete it and next Extend partition C to occupy the disk space left from partition E, and finnally change the drive K letter to E.

Yes, and additionally make it safer for data integrity
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

That would depend on the free disk space you have left in drive E… the images don’t show that info.. To see it you’d need to remove the Actions panel (from the View menu) so disk usage and free space data aren’t hidden from view (on the disk manager top panel).... You don't have to post another image if partition E has enough free space to double the data already in it... in other words, you'd have to shrink partition E enough so the files contained in it can fit a new partition created from the freed space in it and merged with the 1GB unallocated partition.

Flaif64

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Here I am going to give a detailed description of C and E. And my problem (just to make sure its clear :)

C had 170 gigs to begin with, but only like 70 now.

E t is completely empty. It has 270 gigs

I have taken data (Only 1 gig for testing at this point) and tried to give it to C, but C's option to extend is grayed out, despite the face I have free data, 1 gig.

Same in the 3rd party software, http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm

I have free data but it is not allowing me to put it to use, with or without tird part software. Could someone give me a detailed step by step description of waht to do? I dont want to seem stupid but I dont know what to do. Sorry

If E: is empty, then delete it.
Then there will be no problems extending C: .

Saying it again - you can extend a partition only if there is free "unallocated" space directly after it.
If you shrink E:, you create free space after E:
(it is not dirtectly after C: ).

Solution