How to go about getting DDoS'd?

Joosh

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
Alright, so i joined me and my friends teamspeak (which held about 10 people) and there was a new guy, but I didnt think much of it. He sent me a link to a print screen, and I clicked it but the page was blank. Then my friend poked me saying this guy had DDoS'd one of my friends offline and not to trust him, but I just thought it was propaganda and didn't think much of it. About 10 minutes later I started lagging like hell in the teamspeak, and eventually disconnected. After restarting my router and my modem, I can connect to the internet, but according to speedtest.net my download speed in about 10mbps (usually around 60). I'm convinced this was a DDoS attack by this point, so how do I go about getting rid it? Can I block the IPs his botnet is using or something?

Solution
Any blocking of DDoS traffic needs to be done on your provider's end. A DDoS works because there's too much traffic to fit through the pipe from your ISP to your router.

Sometimes you can get a new IP address by restarting your router, but it sounds like this didn't work.

They may give up soon - botnet time costs money. Or your ISP might automatically assign you a new IP - in some cases, every 24 hours.

If that doesn't happen, call up your ISP and ask them to assign a new IP address.
as you opened a file from him it may be infected. download malware byes and hitman pro make sure your pc is clean.
make sure you have an updated anti virus. download a 3 party network siffer tool see what coming in and out. on your router there are setting now for dos accacts..set the router to not take pings. see if that helps. on the router make sure it has the newest firmware. also make sure have no leachers or the guest network is on. make sure the router log on and password not set to default so anyone can log in and change it. if you find the info of the accaker send it to his isp so they ban him.

Any blocking of DDoS traffic needs to be done on your provider's end. A DDoS works because there's too much traffic to fit through the pipe from your ISP to your router.

Sometimes you can get a new IP address by restarting your router, but it sounds like this didn't work.

They may give up soon - botnet time costs money. Or your ISP might automatically assign you a new IP - in some cases, every 24 hours.

If that doesn't happen, call up your ISP and ask them to assign a new IP address.

Solution

Joosh

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

Just as you predicted, he gave up. I'm still going to assign a new IP though, which sucks because I host servers off my connection and now have to redirect stuff.

Yimman

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Joosh,

>The information I am going to share is what the person did and I am in no way condoning that it be used for any illegal or illicit purposes.<

I am a cyber security professional with experience in several colors of hats. When you clicked on the image your IP address was logged and given to the person via a website, iplogger.org.

To help prevent you from becoming the victim of another and potentially more harmful attack there are a few suggestions that I want to bring up.

1) Never open a link that has been shortened, no matter who sent it to you.
Examples: bitly, tinyurl, goo.gl, etc...

2) Do not open full links from people that you do not trust.

3) Do not trust anybody. -- This one is part of #2.

There have been scams where a girl's purse was stolen and before they could tell their spouse, a text came in asking for their pin number pretending to have forgotten. You can imagine what happened next.

If you are in doubt as to the authenticity of anything, call the person that sent it to you! Calling, me, has saved my wife from accidentally opening e-mails that were scams.

I hope this helps and good luck getting your IP address changed.

Yimman